Riemannian volume form without local coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a global definition of the volume form on a Riemannian manifold, similar to the one for symplectic manifolds. The discussion also touches upon the definition of the Hodge star operator and its relationship to the volume form. Various approaches and potential solutions are proposed, but ultimately it is suggested that there may not be a global representation of the volume form on a Riemannian manifold.
Don Aman
The volume form on a Riemannian manifold is usually defined either in terms of a local holonomic frame or orthonormal frame. Since it's defined globally, I would like there to be a global definition, like there is with symplectic manifolds (vol = ωn). Is there one?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it would be: dV=*1, where * is the Hodge star operator and 1 is the 0-form representing the constant function, f(x)=1.

Doodle Bob said:
I believe it would be: dV=*1, where * is the Hodge star operator and 1 is the 0-form representing the constant function, f(x)=1.
The Hodge star is usually defined in terms of the volume form, so your proposed definition seems circular. Do you have a different definition of the Hodge star in mind?

Don Aman said:
The Hodge star is usually defined in terms of the volume form, so your proposed definition seems circular. Do you have a different definition of the Hodge star in mind?

Actually, I believe that the Hodge star operator can be defined locally via an oriented orthonormal basis with no reference to the volume form (you can do it merely on the linear algebra level).

Unless you're restricting yourself to a special manifold, e.g. a space form, I believe that this is the best you can do with regard to a global representation of the volume form.

You can define the Hodge dual in a couple of ways. The simplest way is to assume that you have some basis p-form [tex]\wedge_{i=1}^p\omega^{\mu_i}[/tex]. You then define [tex]\star:\Lambda^p(M)\to\Lambda^{m-p}(M)[/tex] (assuming an m-dimensional manifold), where

[tex]
\star\wedge_{i=1}^{p}\omega^{\mu_{i}}=\frac{\sqrt{|g|}}{(m-p)!}\epsilon_{\phantom{\mu_{1}\ldots \mu_{p}}\nu_{1}\ldots \nu_{m-p}}^{\mu_{1}\ldots \mu_{p}}\wedge_{i=1}^{m-p}\omega^{\nu_{i}}.
[/tex]

where [tex]|g|[/tex] is the absolute value of the determinant of the metric tensor. An alternative way is to note that putting a metric on your manifold automatically defines an inner product on the space of p-forms. Given [tex]\alpha,\beta\in\Lambda^p(M)[/tex] we can define an inner product by

[tex]
(\alpha,\beta)=\frac{1}{p!}\alpha^{\mu_{1}\ldots\mu_{p}}\beta_{\mu_{1}\ldots\mu_{p}}
[/tex]

Then define the Hodge star as an operator which satisfies

[tex]
(\alpha,\beta)=\frac{1}{p!}\alpha^{\mu_{1}\ldots\mu_{p}}\beta_{\mu_{1}\ldots\mu_{p}}
[/tex]

for all [tex]\beta\in\Lambda^{m-p}(M)[/tex], and where [tex]\eta[/tex] is the volume form on [tex]M[/tex].

Doodle Bob said:
Actually, I believe that the Hodge star operator can be defined locally via an oriented orthonormal basis with no reference to the volume form (you can do it merely on the linear algebra level).

Unless you're restricting yourself to a special manifold, e.g. a space form, I believe that this is the best you can do with regard to a global representation of the volume form.
OK, yes that's right. The Hodge star can be defined in terms of a local orthonormal or holonomic frame, and then the Volume form can be defined in terms of it. But of course this is what I was hoping to avoid. Maybe you're right, this is the best that I can do. What prompted me to ask the question was this post on Usenet:
Toby Bartels said:
A metric is a section of the 2nd symmetric power of the cotangent bundle;
that is, it's locally a sum of symmetrised products of 2 1forms.
So if you wedge the metric with itself n times,
then you'll get a section of the 2nd symmetric power of the nform bundle;
I would very much like there to be a construction like this, but I cannot make heads or tails of what Toby is describing. For one thing, he seems to assume that the nth alternating power of the second symmetric power is equal to the second symmetric power of the nth alternating power of a vector space or bundle. I'm pretty sure that in general, alternating powers do not commute with symmetric powers, and I don't think setting the alternating power to n helps this.

I'm pretty sure that in general, alternating powers do not commute with symmetric powers
You sure on that? But in any case, he doesn't need equality, or even a canonical isomorphism; he just needs a canonical embedding of one in the other.

Hurkyl said:
You sure on that?

Well, I think so... I mean, I'm pretty sure...

For example, the alternating square of a 2d vector space is 1d, whose symmetric square is also 1d. While the symmetric square of a 2d vector space is 3d, and its alternating square is 3d again. So clearly they cannot be isomorphic.

But why do you ask? You sound like you know something I don't. Please share.
Hurkyl said:
But in any case, he doesn't need equality, or even a canonical isomorphism; he just needs a canonical embedding of one in the other.
OK, so is there such an embedding? I'm playing around with it, maybe a map
[tex]\operatorname{Alt}^2(\operatorname{Sym}^2V)\to\operatorname{Sym}^2(\operatorname{Alt}^2V)[/tex]
for example I'm thinking given by something like
[tex](a\otimes_\sigma b)\wedge(c\otimes_\sigma d)\mapsto (a\wedge c)\otimes_\sigma(b\wedge d)+(a\wedge d)\otimes_\sigma(b\wedge c)[/tex]
maybe.

But this map is no embedding. It takes
[tex](e_1\otimes_\sigma e_1)\wedge(e_1\otimes_\sigma e_2)[/tex]
to zero.

I am dubious about your suggestion.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
You sure on that? But in any case, he doesn't need equality, or even a canonical isomorphism; he just needs a canonical embedding of one in the other.

Still there?

I had originally made a mistake in my mental picture of the group of symmetries/anti-symmetries of the arguments. I haven't had anything useful to say since.

Hurkyl said:
I haven't had anything useful to say since.
Unfortunately even your original comment was more misleading than it was useful, but I thank you from refraining to make additional useless comments. And thank you to others in this thread who tried to answer. At this point, I guess I have to conclude that perhaps Bartels was mistaken about his description.

What is a Riemannian volume form without local coordinates?

A Riemannian volume form without local coordinates is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to define a volume element on a Riemannian manifold. It is an abstract formulation that does not rely on the choice of a specific coordinate system.

Why is it important to study Riemannian volume forms without local coordinates?

Studying Riemannian volume forms without local coordinates allows for a more general and coordinate-independent understanding of volume and integration on Riemannian manifolds. This is particularly useful in physics and other fields where the concept of symmetry is important.

How is a Riemannian volume form without local coordinates defined?

A Riemannian volume form without local coordinates is defined as a smooth differential form of the highest degree on a Riemannian manifold that assigns a positive volume to each oriented k-dimensional submanifold of the manifold. It is typically denoted by the symbol "dV".

Can a Riemannian volume form without local coordinates be computed?

Yes, a Riemannian volume form without local coordinates can be computed using the metric tensor of the Riemannian manifold. The formula for computing the volume form is given by dV = √det(g)dx1 ∧ ... ∧ dxn, where g is the metric tensor and dx1,...,dxn are the coordinate differentials.

What are some applications of Riemannian volume forms without local coordinates?

Riemannian volume forms without local coordinates have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in the study of differential geometry, general relativity, and geometric mechanics. They are also important in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations on curved manifolds.