How much data transfer ?

by arunbg
Tags: data, transfer
arunbg
Jun15-06, 06:51 AM
P: 602
I would like to know how much data(in Kb) I would have to download as well as upload to PF on average to view say 30 forum webpages ?

The reason why I'm asking this is because my internet connection has limits as to the amount of data that can be transferred and I always seem to exceed the limit (after which they start charging extra).I visit PF on a daily basis, but now I guess I'll have to come less often.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
heartless
Jun15-06, 08:02 AM
P: 214
My stats say that aproximately 1024 Kb were downloaded from PF and ~170Kb were uploaded, but I can't be 100% sure here. You can set up a setting in firefox not to download anything from webpages nor upload. That would do quite good.
z-component
Jun15-06, 11:57 AM
P: 483
Are you sure you're exceeding the limit because of PF? I would think that's more of an issue with P2P sharing programs, unless your limits are set low. My university limits bandwidth to 1.5 GB down and 1.5 up per week due to people using P2P.

hellraiser
Jun15-06, 12:43 PM
P: n/a

How much data transfer ?

Try turning the images off, saves a lot of bandwidth, but also takes the fun away from surfing. OR
Get an unlimited bandwidth connection.
siddharth
Jun16-06, 01:25 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,198
What are the limits, arun? I think it's 1 GB per month? That's what I have currently, and I pay extra as well. I agree with getting an unlimited usage plan. You might want to take a look at this one from BSNL

http://www.bsnl.in/bsnlnews.asp?intNewsId=66407
arunbg
Jun16-06, 03:32 AM
My limit is set at 400 Mb per month (BSNL), which is barely anything .
My Dad won't allow me to have an unlimited connection either, not now at least .
I do use P2P occassionally but I don't do any uploading.
Can someone tell me how I might turn the images off in IE or firefox ?
Even when I am reading a webpage which has completely loaded, there still seems to be intermittent data transfer .
Hearless, are your stats for 30 pages ? 1024 Kb seems quite admissible.

Thanks for the feedback you guys .
heartless
Jun16-06, 07:54 AM
P: 214
1024 Kb, is fair for PF, especially when one sits in General Discussion Forums half a time, and visits picture threads, and there are many, also TeX also gets some space since I download all the images.

To turn off downloading images in firefox, go to about:config
in filter type: 'images' and you should see a line: advenced.always_load_images, then double click it, and it should turn out to be false.
Then, it's also good to turn off web cache for that downloads website templates, flash movies, ads and all that stuff on you harddrive.
Write in filter 'cache' and you should see a line 'browser.cache_disk_allow' disable it by double clicking. I'm not sure whether this actually helps you because it doesn't work for me, images are still loading. You may also try Edit/Preferences/Web Features/check off 'Load images'
hellraiser
Jun16-06, 01:15 PM
P: n/a
If you are having data transfer even when the page has loaded, then you better scan your computer for viruses. And install a firewall (Zone Alarm is quite good) if you don't have one.
neutrino
Jun16-06, 01:32 PM
P: 2,048
Quote Quote by arunbg
My limit is set at 400 Mb per month (BSNL), which is barely anything .
My Dad won't allow me to have an unlimited connection either, not now at least .
I do use P2P occassionally but I don't do any uploading.
Can someone tell me how I might turn the images off in IE or firefox ?
Even when I am reading a webpage which has completely loaded, there still seems to be intermittent data transfer .
Hearless, are your stats for 30 pages ? 1024 Kb seems quite admissible.

Thanks for the feedback you guys .
You might want to get the Adblock extension for Firefox (some people might recommend Adblock Plus, but I can't speak for them). Fx, as such has only the "Block images from site" option in the context menu. With adblcok, you can either block all those irritating ads around the webpage, or selectively remove them.

I use the 256/1 gig connection, and the downloads has been on the rise for the past three months thanks to internet radio. I really hope that they change the times of the "free hours"; 2-8 is terrible.
hypnagogue
Jun17-06, 12:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,264
For a lower bandwitdth version of PF, you might want to try using the stripped down Physics Forums Library, found here. Unfortunately, though, the library doesn't seem to give users any cues by which to differentiate quoted and non-quoted text (and you can forget about latex and graphics), so it may be difficult/impractical to use.
arunbg
Jun17-06, 12:27 PM
Thank you heartless for that data .
Hypnagogue, PF without Latex is unthinkable to me, so I'd rather skip that idea.
I think I'll go one more month with daily PF visits and see what happens .
And no more video clips from GD ):
Thanks you guys for all the replies.

Arun

Register to reply