Register to reply

Field inside a cavity inside a conductor

by Kolahal Bhattacharya
Tags: cavity, conductor, field, inside
Share this thread:
Kolahal Bhattacharya
Jun16-06, 01:03 PM
P: 140
In the context of properties of conductor & 1st Uniqueness theorem, Griffiths proves that field inside a cavity( empty of charge) within a conductor is 0.
Is the result same if we place a +q & a -q (so that Q(enc)=0)
suspended in air inside the cavity?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
siddharth
Jun16-06, 01:25 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,197
I would say no, because Laplace's equation won't be satisfied everywhere, because of the point charges. So you can't apply the first uniqueness theorem.
Kolahal Bhattacharya
Jun16-06, 07:22 PM
P: 140
I agree with you about the result but cannot be satisfied with your argument.As Poisson's eqn. takes into consideration Rho(r)...& still satisfies Uniqueness theorems. Lastly I think it is solved:we will have a unique V(r) function from which E follows.This V(r) will not satisfy properti--es of Laplace eqn.In boundary, V(r)=V(0),Following properties of a conductor...Otherwise the system I'm talking of will not exist at all.It will collapse immediately after we place them together within the cavity,following Earnshaw's theorem.Any conceptual mistake?Please help!

siddharth
Jun17-06, 08:43 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,197
Field inside a cavity inside a conductor

Yeah, you're right, the uniqueness theorem still holds and the potential can be uniquely determined, but it won't be constant inside the conductor.

Also, I don't understand why you say V(R) = V(0)?

Register to reply