Register to reply

And the winner of the 2006 Darwin Awards is...

by Pengwuino
Tags: 2006, awards, darwin, winner
Share this thread:
Pengwuino
Jun19-06, 11:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...balloon05.html

LUTZ, Fla. -- Two college students were found dead inside a large, deflated helium balloon after apparently pulling it down and crawling inside it, officials said.
They literally forgot to breathe...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Rach3
Jun19-06, 11:46 PM
P: 318
They didn't "forget to breathe", they asphyxiated!
JamesU
Jun19-06, 11:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 745
Quote Quote by Rach3
good, I wasn't the only one wondering WTF pengwuino was talking about

Pengwuino
Jun19-06, 11:52 PM
PF Gold
And the winner of the 2006 Darwin Awards is...

Quote Quote by Rach3
Fool! That line isn't funny!
Rach3
Jun19-06, 11:56 PM
P: 318
Then make up something that is.
Astronuc
Jun20-06, 12:20 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
My heart breaks for the parents who have lost a son and daughter. I doubt they thought about the fact that the baloon was still full of He and that there was no oxygen.

Such accidents have happened in other industries where people enter storage systems or tanks that are full of nitrogen or other inert gas. The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
heartless
Jun20-06, 12:35 PM
P: 214
This doesn't deserve darwin's award, it's too normal... :)
Pengwuino
Jun20-06, 12:46 PM
PF Gold
Both of them were 21...
scott1
Jun20-06, 02:07 PM
P: 459
Also know as:
Lack of Intellgence design.
This will help the Evoloution of the human race greatly.
Moonbear
Jun20-06, 02:13 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Astronuc
The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
You'd think it would be self-evident not to crawl inside a balloon, period, and especially one filled with helium. Somehow I don't think all the warnings in the world would have helped kids that are truly that stupid...or drunk....or both. You do feel sorry for the other people left behind, though. It's tough to lose someone close anytime, but it always seems more tragic when they are young.
FredGarvin
Jun20-06, 02:31 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Quote Quote by Astronuc
Such accidents have happened in other industries where people enter storage systems or tanks that are full of nitrogen or other inert gas. The company responsible for the balloon should have given safety instructions to the young people.
Confined space permits and training are probably not immediately on most people's minds, but you'd wish that parents would instill a certain amount of common sense in their children. Even without the presence of He, there should have been little alarms going off in their minds before trying to do it.

Then again, it could be foul play....Nah. I watch too much CSI.
BobG
Jun20-06, 02:43 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Quote Quote by Astronuc
My heart breaks for the parents who have lost a son and daughter. I doubt they thought about the fact that the baloon was still full of He and that there was no oxygen.

You think the two worked there?

I kind of got the impression they were just a couple of college kids who happened to see the hydrogen balloon outside the store. I guess some kind of warning like the 'anti-theft' device warning on vending machines (the picture of the vending machine falling over on the guy shaking the machine) could have been used, but I doubt the couple read any warnings that may or may not have been on the balloon.
Astronuc
Jun20-06, 02:48 PM
Admin
Well, I just assumed one or the other or both were retrieving the balloon. Perhaps they just decided to get inside and have fun, not realizing that with He inside, there is no oxygen to breath. I wonder how many young people would think of that? Probably very few.
JamesU
Jun20-06, 03:26 PM
PF Gold
P: 745
they were able to breathe helium in Sphere...
Gokul43201
Jun20-06, 06:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by Astronuc
I wonder how many young people would think of that? Probably very few.
Wow, Astro! You set terribly low standards for today's youth!
Tuneman
Jun20-06, 07:44 PM
P: 42
i think its terrible that these kids who might not have been ultra smart, made a mistake that cost them their lives and now some dorks on the internet are saying that their death was for the progress of humanity.
Astronuc
Jun20-06, 07:46 PM
Admin
I visited the local high school, which is one of the largest in the state and considered one of the best. I was not impressed. Two or three of the several hundred of students I met expressed capability and motivation.

On the other hand, I did hire the valedictorian a few years ago. He was a brilliant kid who just graduated from Harvard with a degree in mathematics. He turned out to be an excellent programmer. But he still has a lot to learn.
DaveC426913
Jun21-06, 07:54 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by yomamma
they were able to breathe helium in Sphere...
Helium mix i.e. mixed w/ Oxygen.

Register to reply