Register to reply

Integral of e

by Dae
Tags: integral
Share this thread:
Dae
Jun28-06, 07:19 PM
P: 2
The integral of e is e right? So if you were to take the integral of 24+e^(5t) (acceleration), it would be 24t+e^(5t) (velocity)?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
chroot
Jun28-06, 07:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,428
No. Don't forget to include the derivative of the exponent.

Remember that

[itex]
\frac{d}
{{dt}}e^{5t} = e^{5t} \cdot 5
[/itex]

- Warren
Dae
Jun28-06, 08:08 PM
P: 2
Alright, thanks for the help. :)

I see what you're saying there. However, that's when taking the derivative, and I don't understand how to apply that. If I were taking the integral of e^(5t)*5, the 5 would be a constant, so since the constant of just plain e^(5t) is 1.. how could the integral change? Does it become like Ce^(5t) after integrated? When you say I have to include the derivative, do you mean (24+e^u du)dt where u = 5t, du = 5. For some reason I'm leaning towards du = 5 dt, dt = 1/5 du, so its (1/5)*24 du + e^u * (1/5) du, which when integrated becomes (24t + e^(5t))/5.

I'm obviously confused. Maybe you could please show how to solve it for me? Integral of e

chroot
Jun28-06, 08:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,428
Integral of e

Quote Quote by Dae
If I were taking the integral of e^(5t)*5, the 5 would be a constant, so since the constant of just plain e^(5t) is 1..
Whoops! That's not right. Just because 5 is a constant doesn't mean 5 e^(5t) is a constant. It's not; it's still a function of t.

If you agree that the derivative of e^(5t) is 5 e^(5t), then you also have to agree that the integral of 5 e^(5t) is e^(5t) + C.

What I mean when I say "don't forget to include the derivative of 5t," I mean this:

You cannot directly integrate e^(5t). What you'd have to do is multiply it by 5 inside the integral sign, and divide it by 5 outside the integral sign, like this:

[itex]
\int {e^{5t} dt = \frac{1}
{5}} \int {5e^{5t} dt}
[/itex]

Thus, the integral of e^(5t) is (1/5) e^(5t) + C.

Maybe you could please solve it for me?
We don't solve homework problems. We help you understand how to solve them.

- Warren
HallsofIvy
Jun29-06, 08:41 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,348
A lot of your problem is just sloppy thinking. You started by saying "The integral of e is e right?" No, the "integral of e" is NOT e. The integral of e (with respect to x) is ex since e is just a constant. If you MEANT that the integral of ex is ex (plus a constant NOT times a constant as you say) say that!

Register to reply