Register to reply

How would it affect our daily lives if Planck´s constant were different?

by nicolas
Tags: None
Share this thread:
nicolas
Jan12-04, 04:01 PM
P: 1
This might not be the right place for this Q, since I´m not in school now. But I´m thinking of going back to college, and I stumbled upon the above Q when I was going through my old things from HS.

From what I can remember of physics (way too little), E=hf, where h is planck´s constant and f the frequency. I guess that means that electromagnetic radiation would contain more/less energy depending on whether h was bigger/smaller than it is now. So the sun/lamps/fires would be hotter/cooler, and things would cool down (heat up?) faster/slower than now.

Do I remember correctly? What other effects would there be?

** I realize of course that if the constant had been different, the universe would have looked completely different, and I wouldn´t be here writing this. I´m just curious to see if I understand what it affects.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors

Register to reply