Portugal vs France: Who Will Reach the FIFA World Cup Final?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, Portugal hope for third time lucky against France in the FIFA World Cup Final. The record books show that Portugal have never beaten Les Bleus in a major tournament, but Brazil's Zinedine Zidane will be looking to add to his record-breaking World Cup win tally. France are equally determined, and the game is expected to be a close one.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
This should be a great match up!

Portugal hope for third time lucky against French
Beaten twice by France at the semi-final stage of the UEFA European Championship, Portugal have the history books as well as Les Bleus against them in Munich on Wednesday.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060704/1/8j88.html

The duel - Luis Figo v Zinedine Zidane? Maybe. We'll see.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060705/1/8kxb.html

A glance at the record books is enough to send a shiver down Portuguese spines. They have never beaten Les Bleus in a major tournament, and a Zinedine Zidane-inspired French outfit represent a huge obstacle as coach Felipão strives to take his adopted country forward. But the record-breaking Brazilian, who now holds the mark for most consecutive FIFA World Cup wins with 12, will be eagerly eyeing another first on Wednesday: Portugal’s first-ever FIFA World Cup Final.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060703/1/8j63.html

Les Bleus are equally determined.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060704/1/8kc4.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Olala, you are very fast Astronuc...:) Just be patient for another 6 hours...

regards
marlon

5 hrs 48 mins I make it :) hehe

Come on France!

I thought Figo was out for this game. Or is it someone else? Deco was out for the England game, and is back for this one, right?

Deco is back.. Its a one match Ban (AFAIK). Figo probably needed a hip replacement, along with Zidan so perhaps they are out.

Well, Germany hasn't beaten Italy in a world cup game either, but several of their encounters have been classic, and, yesterday's semi is currently considered the match of the tournament.

Let's hope for another good referee.

marlon said:
Olala, you are very fast Astronuc...:)
Just like on the football field. :biggrin:

The game between Germany and Italy reminded me of one I played in during university. My team was in the finals, and it ended up in the shoot outs after two overtimes, and it was scoreless up to that point. We lost by one goal (like 2-3 in the shoot out). The pressure on the goalies and kickers was immense.

Our goalie let one through his legs. :rolleyes: Ouch, that was painful to watch! And our team captain, who wanted to be one of the kickers, kicked the ball over the cross-bar. :yuck:

My best game was against a Korean team where I scored 4 of 5 goals, and I was a mid-fielder. The Korean players couldn't get out of my way fast enough. A couple of times, I had to literally pick up one of them so I didn't run over him. :biggrin: And, one goal, I dribbled into the goal. :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
I thought Figo was out for this game. Or is it someone else? Deco was out for the England game, and is back for this one, right?

Here are the rosters (squads), but I don't know if they are current.
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/match/template.html?id=62&day=05&month=07&year=2006

Astronuc said:
The game between Germany and Italy reminded me of one I played in during university. My team was in the finals, and it ended up in the shoot outs after two overtimes, and it was scoreless up to that point. We lost by one goal (like 2-3 in the shoot out). The pressure on the goalies and kickers was immense.

I don't like penalties for that reason. It's a bad way to decide a game. I played in 5 penalty shootouts for my school team, and we lost all five.

And they're off! Line ups at start of game (FIFAWorld, Yahoo)

Portugal
1. RICARDO
5. FERNANDO MEIRA
6. COSTINHA
7. LUIS FIGO (C)
9. PAULETA
13. MIGUEL
14. NUNO VALENTE (C)
16. RICARDO CARVALHO
17. CRISTIANO RONALDO
18. MANICHE
20. DECO

France
16. BARTHEZ Fabien
3. ABIDAL Eric
4. VIEIRA Patrick
5. GALLAS William
6. MAKELELE Claude
7. MALOUDA Florent
10. ZIDANE Zinedine
12. HENRY Thierry
15. THURAM Lilian
19. SAGNOL Willy
22. RIBERY Frank

I'd really hate to see this game end with that penalty :(

On a side note, all the booing going on in this game is pretty funny :biggrin:

Last edited:
I think Ricardo Carvalho slipped and Thierry just stepped into his leg. Looking at the replay, it does not look like an intentional tackle or trip.

Tough call by the ref.

About 5 minutes to go, and Portugal needs a goal to go to OT.

Astronuc said:
Tough call by the ref.

As an admittedly partisan Germany supporter, I'm left wondering why that was a PK when the handball over Podowski in the other semi ended up being a free kick...

<cynical>I suppose this game just isn't as good, so they're trying to get it over with?</cynical>

Extended by 4 minutes! :yuck:

Oh, I can't believe we lost! Damn ref! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PPonte said:
Oh, I can't believe we lost! Damn ref!
My condolensces, but this is a binary situation. There is one winner and one non-winner. Of course, everyone wants their particular favorite to win.

Great game though.

As a consolation, Portugal has a chance to beat Germany.

It's a pity Portugal didn't produce as much as they should've had. My strong belief of a better strategic formation of 4-4-2 was quite simply vindicated towards the end. I never liked Portugal's 4-5-1 playing system since Euro 2004 as it forced many of our midfield players to shoot far too many balls from the outside area.

In particular against strong teams such as France, it's just not a matter of shooting from long distances and hoping to score, it is I'm afraid, much more than that.

I'm disappointed with how Scholari read the game, especially by ONLY applying the 4-4-2 formation tactic towards the end (we visibly played much better). Nonetheless, as a Portuguese fan, I do thank him for all the work put towards the team.

I can only hope he recognises this mistake and makes up his mind to play a 4-4-2 formation against Germany.

Last edited:
It was a penalty, clear and simple. Anyway Portugal were lucky to get as far as they did. France deserve it, and they can't talk about the ref the only reason they got through the last match against England was due to some doggy refing...

GO ON ITALIA :)

Being Greek by blood I can't help but feel sorry for the portugesse :biggrin:

better luck next time

Anttech said:
Being Greek by blood I can't help but feel sorry for the portugesse :biggrin:

So are you Italian?

I'm glad those cheats have been knocked out - their diving has spoiled the tournament.

Was funny watching it on bbc in a dutch pub - everyone in the pub were rooting for the French - as were the English commentators.

Vive la France!

Or something like that... :biggrin:

hehe...

No I am Greek, but we are cousins the Italians and Greeks.. I want them to win the World Cup, so we can safely say the old cultural alliance of Greece and Italy is on track and we are the best at football in the world mmmuuuhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Anttech said:
...and we are the best at football in the world mmmuuuhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Well, you're certainly both on the front pages of the football news at the moment... :biggrin: :tongue:

1. What are the current standings of Portugal and France in the FIFA World Cup?

As of 2021, Portugal is ranked 7th in the FIFA World Rankings, while France is ranked 2nd.

2. When was the last time Portugal and France faced each other in the FIFA World Cup?

The last time Portugal and France faced each other in the FIFA World Cup was in the 2016 European Championship, where Portugal won 1-0 in the final.

3. Who has a better overall record in the FIFA World Cup, Portugal or France?

France has a better overall record in the FIFA World Cup, having won the tournament twice (1998 and 2018) and finishing as runners-up once (2006). Portugal has only reached the final once (in 2016) but has never won the tournament.

4. How have Portugal and France performed in the previous FIFA World Cup tournaments?

In the 2018 FIFA World Cup, France reached the final and ultimately won the tournament. Portugal was eliminated in the Round of 16. In the 2014 FIFA World Cup, France was eliminated in the quarter-finals while Portugal did not qualify for the tournament. In the 2010 FIFA World Cup, both Portugal and France were eliminated in the Round of 16.

5. Which team has a stronger current roster for the FIFA World Cup?

Both Portugal and France have strong rosters with top players, making it difficult to determine which team is stronger. However, France's roster includes several players who were key in their 2018 FIFA World Cup win, such as Kylian Mbappé and Antoine Griezmann, giving them a slight edge over Portugal's current roster.