by Pengwuino
Tags: listeners, music, psychotic
Share this thread:
Pengwuino
Jul7-06, 01:24 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Get out of my thread yomamma

I've started to notice that people are absolutely psychotic about music. It's as if its oxygen to them. If someone doesnt listen to music for a few hours, they will become murderous. I would say a good 90% of my friends say music is the most important thing in their lives. Not family, not friends, not their girlfriends/boyfriends.... their music Theres something seriously wrong with this country and its teens/young adults/children. We want to wake up to music, we want mp3 players in our showers, we want to have portable mp3 players, mp3 players on our cell phones, mp3 players in our cars. It's as if being away from their stupid music will drastically reduce their happiness. Pathetic. I don't see why we haven't whiped ourselves out yet.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
JamesU
Jul7-06, 02:05 AM
PF Gold
P: 745
shut up pengwuino
Pengwuino
Jul7-06, 02:06 AM
PF Gold
Did you not read the disclaimer

JamesU
Jul7-06, 02:06 AM
PF Gold
Psychotic music listeners

I did, but I don't care about what it has to say
Pengwuino
Jul7-06, 02:28 AM
PF Gold
I'm going to feed you to Ivan's deer
Moonbear
Jul7-06, 06:31 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
I was out with the some folks last weekend, and we made the same observation. There are people who can't seem to put down the mp3 players. As a group, we concurred that we don't really like having music on non-stop like that, and especially when awareness of surroundings is more important (I like to hear what's going on around me when I'm out walking downtown, or even the long walk to the parking lot from the building I work in...you want to know if there's a car coming up behind you as you're walking through the parking lot, or if someone else is walking behind you).
JamesU
Jul7-06, 02:16 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
I'm going to feed you to Ivan's deer
I'm sure the deer would rather have some Pengwuin-o's for breakfast
selfAdjoint
Jul7-06, 03:34 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
I'm sitting here listening to WFMT streaming (somebody's string symphony), and wondering when this thread is going to come to any point.
Cyrus
Jul7-06, 04:10 PM
P: 4,777
Quote Quote by selfAdjoint
I'm sitting here listening to WFMT streaming (somebody's string symphony), and wondering when this thread is going to come to any point.
WOOOOOOOO......we have a new contender to hate pengwunio. Welcome to the club sir!
turbo
Jul7-06, 05:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I guess I would be one of the people that Penquino is ranting about. Although I cherish periods of silence, listening to the song-birds all around the house, etc, I want to listen to music most of the day. I have several hundred vinyl albums, and hundreds upon hundreds of CDs. Most of them fit in my 400-CD Sony carousel player, and I leave it on shuffle for hours at a time. I just listened to a great T-Bone Walker song, and now the Lovin' Spoonful are on. Next might be Vince Gill, Robben Ford, the Yardbirds, Emmylou Harris, Guy Clark, Elvis Costello, Buddy Guy, AC-DC, Mary Black, Hendrix, John Hiatt, Tony Rice, Aerosmith...who knows? There's some of everything in there except opera and hip-hop, both of which are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I have been avidly listening to music for over 50 years, and still have albums by the Ink Spots and the Mills Brothers that my mom had when I was a tyke. I started playing professionally in the '60's and earned my pocket money in college playing frat parties, and buying and selling and repairing guitars and amps. Life without music would be unthinkable. If the power goes out, I'll grab one of my acoustic guitars and make my own music.
JasonRox
Jul7-06, 06:10 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
Quote Quote by Moonbear
I was out with the some folks last weekend, and we made the same observation. There are people who can't seem to put down the mp3 players. As a group, we concurred that we don't really like having music on non-stop like that, and especially when awareness of surroundings is more important (I like to hear what's going on around me when I'm out walking downtown, or even the long walk to the parking lot from the building I work in...you want to know if there's a car coming up behind you as you're walking through the parking lot, or if someone else is walking behind you).
Same here. People are being less aware of their surroundings. People don't value being attentive. They are so concerned with being cool, looking busy and showing others how much more they have in their life.

I have an iPod with close to 1000 songs on it, a PocketPC with lots of memory cards that have movies and TV shows, and a bunch of other toys. I rarely use them that often at all. I take the bus the school which is like 40-60 minute ride (depends on the day) and I only take the iPod to school once a week. I take my PocketPC when I take the bus out of town because that's like 90 minutes and so I watch TV. All the other days I'm reading a book on the bus, sitting in the back talk, or just hanging enjoy myself.

With all the opportunities I have to use an MP3 player, I still don't use it because that takes away so much more from you while you don't even know it.

Live life; don't try to escape life.
JamesU
Jul7-06, 06:37 PM
PF Gold
Turbo-1, you need an iPod
Pengwuino
Jul7-06, 07:05 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo-1
I guess I would be one of the people that Penquino is ranting about. Although I cherish periods of silence, listening to the song-birds all around the house, etc, I want to listen to music most of the day. I have several hundred vinyl albums, and hundreds upon hundreds of CDs. Most of them fit in my 400-CD Sony carousel player, and I leave it on shuffle for hours at a time. I just listened to a great T-Bone Walker song, and now the Lovin' Spoonful are on. Next might be Vince Gill, Robben Ford, the Yardbirds, Emmylou Harris, Guy Clark, Elvis Costello, Buddy Guy, AC-DC, Mary Black, Hendrix, John Hiatt, Tony Rice, Aerosmith...who knows? There's some of everything in there except opera and hip-hop, both of which are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
No you don't count. Im talking about people like yomamma who dont know the meaning of money and have ipods.
JamesU
Jul7-06, 07:08 PM
PF Gold
So because I own an iPod, I am overly psychotic when it comes to music?
Cyrus
Jul7-06, 07:10 PM
P: 4,777
Write the companion matrix Cp for p(t) = 6-5t+t^2, and then find the characteristic polynomial of Cp.
Pengwuino
Jul7-06, 07:11 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by yomamma
So because I own an iPod, I am overly psychotic when it comes to music?
Boy apple made a fortune....
JasonRox
Jul7-06, 07:29 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
Quote Quote by Moonbear
Same here. People are being less aware of their surroundings. People don't value being attentive. They are so concerned with being cool, looking busy and showing others how much more they have in their life.

I have an iPod with close to 1000 songs on it, a PocketPC with lots of memory cards that have movies and TV shows, and a bunch of other toys. I rarely use them that often at all. I take the bus the school which is like 40-60 minute ride (depends on the day) and I only take the iPod to school once a week. I take my PocketPC when I take the bus out of town because that's like 90 minutes and so I watch TV. All the other days I'm reading a book on the bus, sitting in the back talk, or just hanging enjoy myself.

With all the opportunities I have to use an MP3 player, I still don't use it because that takes away so much more from you while you don't even know it.

Live life; don't try to escape life.
Pengwuino
Jul7-06, 07:34 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by JasonRox
and to me, it makes me think they have far less in their life.

Register to reply