acceleration in g units

by physics newb
Tags: acceleration, units
physics newb
Sep6-06, 03:34 PM
P: 44
Question:
An object is moving on land at a speed of 1020 km/h. This object goes from full speed to a complete stop in 1.4 seconds.
In g units, what acceleration did the object 'experience' while stopping?
My guess is I have to plug in -9.8 m/s into this equation, but I'm not sure how.
Any help? I hope this is the right forum. Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Mattara
Sep6-06, 03:36 PM
P: 398
1 g = 9.82m/s2

Do you know the formula for acceleration?
physics newb
Sep6-06, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know the formula for acceleration, at least not off the top of my head.

HallsofIvy
Sep6-06, 05:03 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,904

acceleration in g units

acceleration is rate of change of speed. The speed went from 1020 km/hr to 0 km/hr, a change of -1020 km/hr in 1.4 seconds.

You will want to change km/hr to m/s.
physics newb
Sep6-06, 07:13 PM
So it accelerated at -283.3 m/s, now do I divide that by the -9.8 m/s, and that's my answer? I came up with 28.91 g units.
physics newb
Sep7-06, 11:49 AM
Something just accrued to me. What do I do with the 1.4 seconds? Do I take the 28.91 g units and figure out what the answer would be for 1 second, making it 20.65 g units?
hvb5031
Sep1-08, 11:54 AM
P: 2
Yo so is it 28.91 or 20.65..
so what hall are you in...physics 211!!!

Register to reply