Multivariable Limits: Substitution technique

In summary, the first limit is evaluated by substituting t=xy and taking the limit as t approaches 0, resulting in a value of 1. However, the same technique does not work for the second limit, which has an additional variable z approaching 0. This variable does not affect the limit and therefore the answer for the second limit is also 1, not 0.
johndoe3344
I was presented with the two following questions:

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0\\y\rightarrow 0}} \sin\frac{xy}{xy}[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0\\y\rightarrow 0}} \sin(\frac{xyz}{xyz})[/tex]

I figured I would do a simple substitution: let t = xy for the first one, and the limit becomes as t ->0, sin t /t would approach 1. The answer is right for the first one.

Why doesn't the same technique work for the second one? (The answer for the second one is 0).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the second one are you also meant to have the limit be as z goes to 0?

Whenever x, y, and z are all nonzero, then xyz/(xyz) = 1. So sin(xyz/(xyz)) = sin 1. This does not depend on the path that you approach (0, 0, 0) by, so the limit is sin 1.

johndoe3344 said:
I was presented with the two following questions:

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0\\y\rightarrow 0}} \sin\frac{xy}{xy}[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0\\y\rightarrow 0}} \sin(\frac{xyz}{xyz})[/tex]

I figured I would do a simple substitution: let t = xy for the first one, and the limit becomes as t ->0, sin t /t would approach 1. The answer is right for the first one.

Why doesn't the same technique work for the second one? (The answer for the second one is 0).
No, the way you've written it, the lilmit for the second one is not 0. It is, as Orthodontist said, sin 1, exactly like the first.

Sorry. I'm very bad with using latex.

I actually meant [sin (xy )]/(xy)

and likewise for the second one. For the second one, there's also a z->0 which I omitted. Sorry again.

In that case your reasoning is correct and the limit is 1, not 0. Why did you think it is 0? (maybe you're using your calculator to check and you're using degrees instead of radians?)

1. What is the substitution technique used for in multivariable limits?

The substitution technique is a method used to evaluate multivariable limits when direct substitution is not possible. It involves substituting the given limit into a new equation that eliminates the variable causing the limit to be undefined.

2. When is the substitution technique not applicable for evaluating multivariable limits?

The substitution technique is not applicable when the limit involves a variable that approaches multiple values or when the limit is undefined due to division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number.

3. What are the steps for using the substitution technique to evaluate a multivariable limit?

The steps for using the substitution technique are: (1) substitute the given limit into a new equation, (2) simplify the new equation by factoring or canceling out common factors, (3) check if the limit is now defined, if not, try another substitution, (4) if the limit is still not defined, use other methods such as L'Hospital's rule or trigonometric identities.

4. Is the substitution technique always successful in evaluating multivariable limits?

No, the substitution technique is not always successful in evaluating multivariable limits. It can only be used in certain cases where direct substitution is not possible. In other cases, other methods such as L'Hospital's rule or trigonometric identities may need to be used.

5. Can the substitution technique be used for evaluating multivariable limits in higher dimensions?

Yes, the substitution technique can be used for evaluating multivariable limits in higher dimensions. It follows the same steps as for limits in two variables, but with more substitutions needed to eliminate the variables causing the limit to be undefined.