Chain rule with table of values

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the chain rule and filling in missing values in a table. The person asking for help is having trouble applying the chain rule correctly and has received some guidance on how to approach the problem. They eventually figure out their mistake and come to the correct solution.
trajan22
ok firstly i understand how the chain rule works however I am given this table

x f '(x) g(x) g'(x) h'(x)
0 7 2 ___ 32
2 8 0 -3 ___

im told to fill in the blanks where h(x)=f(g(x^2-x))

this problem has become an annoyance at first i assumed to solve i would take f ' * g '(x)*x ' however this doesn't work and no form of multiplication will give me the correct answer when i multiply them together so I am guessing there is addition or subtraction involved. Please help as this is the only problem i am stuck on and the test is tom.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello trajan22,

you didn't apply the chain rule correctly. Maybe it would help you to see where you've made the mistake, if you write down the arguments of all functions as well.

Regards,

nazzard

i think i found my error in the application if I am right then it should be
f '(g(x))* g' (x)* (x')
this would translate to for the second row
8*2*-3*2
however this doesn't bring me to the right answer i think the problem is in the x^2*x do i sub in 2 for this for every part of the operation involving x or do i take the table value ex. g'(x)=-3 or g'(x)=-3(2^2-2)or -6 I am thinking this is where the problem lies. what are your thoughts

trajan22 said:
i think i found my error in the application if I am right then it should be
f '(g(x))* g' (x)* (x')

You still got the arguments/variables wrong. You could try to rename (x^2-x) to y(x). Then h(x) would be: h(x)=f(g(y(x))). Can you see now that you didn't apply the chain rule correctly to the y(x) part and that the arguments should read y(x) and not simply x?

sorry I am still havin trouble with it because since g(x) is 0 then the outcome would be 0 because you multiplyby 0 obviosly this isn't the case...

but with the new argument is it

8*(-3*(2))*(0(2))*-3(2)(3)*(3)??

Last edited:
trajan22 said:
sorry I am still havin trouble with it because since g(x) is 0 then the outcome would be 0 because you multiplyby 0 obviosly this isn't the case...
but with the new argument is it
8*(0*(2))*(-3(2))*(-3(2))(2)??

That doesn't seem to be correct.

Before plugging in any values, please make sure you have the correct answer for h'(x).

h'(x)=f'(g(y(x))*g'(y(x))*y'(x).

with y(x)=x^2-x.

What is y'(x)?

y'(x) should be 2 right? because x^2-x would be 2^2-1 or just 3? because y'
is 2x-1

trajan22 said:
y'(x) should be 2 right? because x^2-x would be 2^2-1 or just 3? because y'
is 2x-1

y'(x)=2x-1

Now, as a result we have:

h'(x)=f'(g(x^2-x))*g'(x^2-x)*(2x-1)

What is h'(0)? To find out, you just replace every x with 0, right?

So you'll get:

h'(0)=f'(g(0^2-0))*g'(0^2-0)*(2*0-1)
h'(0)=f'(g(0))*g'(0)*(-1)

i follow what you are saying but still end up with a result of zero when it should be -21 I am missing something obvious...ps thank you for all your help i really appreciate it

trajan22 said:
i follow what you are saying but still end up with a result of zero when it should be -21 I am missing something obvious...ps thank you for all your help i really appreciate it

No problem. :smile:

I'll try to cover it step by step.

We have:

h'(0)=f'(g(0))*g'(0)*(-1)

We have a look at the table and find:

h'(0)=32, g(0)=2

So we put that information in our equation and get:

32=f'(2)*g'(0)*(-1)

luckily the table also provides us with the value for f'(2), it's 8.

So we get:

32=8*g'(0)*(-1).

You can solve for g'(0) and write the value into your table.

Can you go from there and solve the equation for h'(2)?

well now i see how the answers are brought about but i didnt realize that you could deal with this by leaving the row such that f'(0)=8 but f'2 =7 what is the reasoning behind this if x is a different value because the way i thought it was i f'0=7 and f'2 =8 but this is not the case so I am confused on the underlying concept...also for 32=8*g(-1) i get -4 but the answer is supposed to be just 4 32=-8g -4=g I am also getting the opposite sign for h as 21 not -21

Hmmm, starting with this table and h(x)=f(g(x^2-x)) I don't get 21 or -21 as an answer for h'(2). :frown:

x__f'(x)__g(x)__g'(x)__h'(x)

0___7____2_____??___32

2___8____0____-3____??

Maybe I've done something wrong along the way? I'll have another look.

well this is how i figured it for h'2 since f'=gx it is f'=2(0^2-0)so f' is 0 so therefore for at f'0 according to table it is 7 then 7*g' is -21(correct answer) but for some reason -21*-1 gives 21 this is the way i reasoned it hope you can follow.

trajan22 said:
well this is how i figured it for h'2 since f'=gx it is f'=2(0^2-0)so f' is 0 so therefore for at f'0 according to table it is 7 then 7*g' is -21(correct answer) but for some reason -21*-1 gives 21 this is the way i reasoned it hope you can follow.

Ok I can't seem to follow you here and I had problems with your notation in another post as well. What does f'=gx and f'=2(0^2-0) mean? :redface:

for h'(2) I get:

h'(2)=f'(g(2^2-2))*g'(2^2-2)*(2^2-1)
h'(2)=f'(g(2))*g'(2)*(3)
h'(2)=f'(0)*(-3)*(3)
h'(2)=8*(-3)*(3) *wrong*

:uhh:

*edit: I get h'(2)=7*(-3)*(3) since f'(0)=7.*

Last edited:
oh sorry about that now that i look at it again f'=g(x) doesn't make sense...but the 2is the value at g(x) and 0 is the value at x so i input this into 2*(x^2-x)which is g'(x^2-x)
which gives the value of 0
so that makes it f'(0) so i took this value from the table at f'(0) to be 7and multiplied it by g'(x) and returned with -21 i then multiplied by -1 as that is what x' is therefore i got 21...i did the same operation for the first colum to get g

i hope this you can follow this ...

WELL CANCEL THIS, IM GETTING THE RIGHT NUMBER BUT I REALIZED THAT IT IS MULTIPLIED BY 3 AT THE END BECAUSE 2X-1=3 WHEN X IS 2 SO THIS INVALIDATES MY ARGUMENT. AND WOULD CHANGE IT TO 63

Last edited:
My final table looks like this:

x__f'(x)__g(x)__g'(x)__h'(x)

0___7____2____-4____32

2___8____0____-3___-63

I'm still not sure where the mismatch with the signs comes in. :uhh:

Last edited:
right that's what I am getting and also a friend of mine who worked the problem ...my only guess at this point that the answer sheet is wrong with the h'(x) value being 21 and the g'(x) value being 4. oh well...you still helped with the comprehension of this style of problem so thanks again...

1. How do you use the chain rule with a table of values?

The chain rule is used to differentiate composite functions, which are functions made up of other functions. To use the chain rule with a table of values, you first need to identify the inner and outer functions. Then, you can use the formula (f ∘ g)'(x) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x) to find the derivative of the composite function at a specific point.

2. What is the purpose of using a table of values when applying the chain rule?

A table of values can help you visualize the values of the inner and outer functions, making it easier to identify and differentiate them. It can also assist in calculating the derivative at a specific point by plugging in the values from the table into the chain rule formula.

3. Can the chain rule be used with any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be used with any composite function, as long as the inner and outer functions are differentiable. The chain rule is a general rule that applies to all composite functions.

4. How does the chain rule relate to the product rule and quotient rule?

The chain rule is a special case of the product rule, where one of the functions is a constant. It can also be used in conjunction with the quotient rule to differentiate more complex composite functions.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule with a table of values?

One common mistake is mixing up the inner and outer functions, which can lead to incorrect results. It is important to clearly identify the functions and their corresponding values in the table. Another mistake is not simplifying the final derivative expression, which can make it more difficult to interpret the result.