Strikethrough in Usernames: Meaning Explained

• Thread starter Stevedye56
  • Start date
In summary, there are various indicators in user names on the forum such as a strikethrough line or black and small font. These typically denote a user who is no longer registered or whose posts are still saved. Some users are imported from older user groups. As long as the strikethrough line remains below a user's name, they are temporarily safe from being banned.
Stevedye56
I've noticed while surfing through threads that some members have a rasied line (strikethrough) in their name. Does this mean that they are blocked (banned from server)? Everything else makes sense, like the colors coresponding to importence of site.

-Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. (10 chars)

Since this thread is somewhat on this topic, what's with the users whose names are black and small? like boulderhead

yomamma said:
Since this thread is somewhat on this topic, what's with the users whose names are black and small? like boulderhead
I believe that denotes a user who is no longer registered, but whose posts are still saved.

Some users are ímported'from the old-style user groups, eg. sci.physics

z-component said:
yomamma said:
I believe that denotes a user who is no longer registered, but whose posts are still saved.
When boulderhead moved back to the jungle, he requested that his account be made inactive.

Thanks for all the information, I just wanted to make sure I was assuming correctly.

As long as the line remains BENEATH your name, you're momentarily safe, though!:smile:

The momentairly part just makes that statement hillarious. no sarcasm intended.

1. What is strikethrough in usernames?

Strikethrough in usernames refers to the use of a horizontal line through a username, typically to indicate that the username is no longer in use or has been changed.

2. What is the purpose of using strikethrough in usernames?

The purpose of using strikethrough in usernames can vary, but it is often used to indicate that the username is no longer being actively used or to show that the user has changed their username. It can also be used for aesthetic purposes or to make a statement.

3. Is strikethrough in usernames a common practice?

Yes, strikethrough in usernames is a relatively common practice, especially on social media platforms or online forums. It is a simple and effective way to convey that the username is no longer in use or has been changed.

4. Can anyone use strikethrough in their username?

Yes, anyone can use strikethrough in their username as long as the platform or website allows for special characters or formatting in usernames. However, it is important to consider the platform's policies and guidelines before using strikethrough as it may not be allowed in some cases.

5. Are there any other symbols or formatting options that can be used in usernames?

Yes, there are various symbols and formatting options that can be used in usernames depending on the platform. Some common ones include underscores, dashes, and parentheses. It is important to follow the platform's guidelines and use these symbols appropriately.