Tags: confused, probablity, totally
Share this thread:
RSS
Oct23-06, 10:39 AM
P: 3
Hi,Can anyone help me with this one?

Probability of an event occuring is 0.6

Find,
1)Probability of 1 of such events occurring out of total 5?

2)and 4 of such event occurring out of total 5.?

Answers given are:

1) 0.768
2) 0.2592

Please help me out by giving and explaining this one?..
thnks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
radou
Oct23-06, 11:10 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,224
You may want to use the binomial distribution [tex]f(k)=\left( \begin{array}{c} n \\ k \end{array} \right) p^k (1-p)^{n-k}[/tex], where n is the number of trials, and k the number of times an event whose probability is 0.6 occured.
RSS
Oct23-06, 11:33 AM
Quote Quote by radou
You may want to use the binomial distribution [tex]f(k)=\left( \begin{array}{c} n \\ k \end{array} \right) p^k (1-p)^{n-k}[/tex], where n is the number of trials, and k the number of times an event whose probability is 0.6 occured.

I tried..but still not getting the ans..dunno where am going wrong..could u pls solve it and show me...
thnk u very much!....i guess i am making the same mistake again n again..but cant see thro ' it..will really appreciate if u solve it and explain...

U r right tht we have to use binomial distribution..is there any other way also to solve it?

thnks

CRGreathouse
Oct23-06, 11:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,684
Probablity :confused totally

Complete words, please!

Quote Quote by RSS
I tried..but still not getting the ans..dunno where am going wrong..could u pls solve it and show me...
thnk u very much!....i guess i am making the same mistake again n again..but cant see thro ' it..will really appreciate if u solve it and explain...

U r right tht we have to use binomial distribution..is there any other way also to solve it?
I'm not sure at all where you're going wrong. You have the formula -- just plug in the appropriate values and you have the answer. What are you getting, and how?
HallsofIvy
Oct23-06, 04:34 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
You have already been told to use
[tex]f(k)=\left( \begin{array}{c} n \\ k \end{array} \right) p^k (1-p)^{n-k}[/tex]

When p= 0.6, n= 5, P(1)= [itex]\frac{5!}{(4!)(1!)}.6^1 .4^4[/itex]
[itex]= 5(.6)(0.025)= 0.0768[/itex]. Was it the arithmetic you had trouble with?

To answer (2) take k= 4 rather than 1.
RSS
Oct23-06, 07:08 PM
sorry frnds..was making a very silly mistake with decimals..I got it after radou's 1st reply..was just trying to work out if there is any other way to solve besides using the binomial formula..
anyways, i have stuck with wht u all suggest..thnks again all of you!!..appreciate it!

Register to reply