Logarythmic
Nov1-06, 03:56 PM
P: 286
Does

[tex]\nabla ^2 u(r,\theta) = 0 [/tex]

with the boundary conditions

[tex]u(1,\theta) = u(2,\theta) = \sin^2 \theta [/tex]

have any solutions?

This was a problem on my exam but someone must have written the conditions wrong, or am I stupid?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
TMFKAN64
Nov1-06, 04:08 PM
P: 1,079
Why not? It's a well-defined, well-behaved boundary condition over an enclosed space (the region between two concentric spheres).

The general solution in spherical coordinates is sum (Ai r^i + Bi / r^(i+1))Pi(cos theta). Plug in r=1 and r=2, and rewrite the sin^2 theta as 1 - cos^2 theta... then you only need the first few Legendre polynomials and you can solve for the coefficients.
Logarythmic
Nov1-06, 04:53 PM
But the problem is to be done in plane polar coordinates...?

TMFKAN64
Nov1-06, 05:26 PM

Laplace equation

Ah, right, sorry, I'm used to looking at these things in spherical coordinates... oh well, same wine, different bottle.

The general solutions look like A0 ln r + B0 + sum (Ai r^i + Bi / r^i)(Ci cos (i theta) + Di sin (i theta)). Use the double angle formula to get your cos^2 term.
Logarythmic
Nov2-06, 02:25 AM
How am I ever gonna get [tex]u(2,\theta)[/tex], wich contains an [tex]ln 2[/tex], to equal [tex]\sin^2 \theta[/tex]? And how can you possibly write [tex]\sin^2 \theta[/tex] as a linear combination of sin and cos?
arildno
Nov2-06, 12:42 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
[tex]\sin^{2}(\theta)=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\cos(2\theta)}{2}[/tex]
TMFKAN64
Nov2-06, 01:08 PM
Quote Quote by Logarythmic
How am I ever gonna get [tex]u(2,\theta)[/tex], wich contains an [tex]ln 2[/tex], to equal [tex]\sin^2 \theta[/tex]?
You aren't. Better set A0 = 0. And arildno already answered your other question.

Basically, you are free to choose any combination of the coefficients you need to match the boundary conditions. There are some integrals you can do to solve this analytically, but in most cases that you are likely to see in homework or on a test, you can just pick out the coefficients by inspection.
Logarythmic
Nov2-06, 01:23 PM
Damn it. I'm not worth those 4 points. ;)

Register to reply