Plumb a Tree w/240 N Force: Find & Fix Incorrect Answer

• Thread starter formulajoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Tree
In summary, a landscaper is trying to plumb a tree with a 240 N force at point A, coming in at a 30 deg angle on the right. However, two helpers are attempting to plumb the same tree by pulling at point B and pushing with a parallel force at point C. To determine the equivalent forces, the vectors should be written in i, j form. It would also be helpful to have a picture or visual representation to better understand the situation.
formulajoe
a landscaper tries to plumb a tree by applying a 240 N forces. two helpers attempt to plumb the same tree with one pulling at point b and the other pushing with a parallel force at point c. determine these two forces so they are equivalent to the single 240 N force. the force is at point A. it is coming in at a 30 deg angle. this force is on the right. the entire tree is leaning to the right 20 deg. point b is .35 m above point a. point C is .25 m below point A. I am getting some answers but they arent right. what do i do??

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you did, and then we can help. Specifically, it would help if you write the force vectors in i, j form, because I for one am getting a fuzzy picture from your verbal description.

if you have access to a digital camera you can take a picture of it and then host it online. i usually do this because it is hard to decipher what is going on without a picture.

-andrew

1. How do you calculate the force needed to plumb a tree?

To calculate the force needed to plumb a tree, you must first determine the weight of the tree. This can be done by using a scale or estimating based on the size and species of the tree. Once you have the weight, you can use the formula Force = Mass x Acceleration (F=ma) to calculate the force needed. In this case, the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. What is the significance of using 240 N force in this experiment?

The 240 N force is the amount of force needed to plumb the tree. This force is based on the weight and size of the tree, as well as the gravitational force acting on it. Using this specific force allows for a more accurate measurement and ensures that the tree is properly plumbed.

3. Is it possible to plumb a tree with a force that is too strong?

Yes, it is possible to plumb a tree with a force that is too strong. This can cause damage to the tree's roots and potentially harm the tree. It is important to use the correct amount of force, as determined by the weight of the tree, to ensure the tree is not damaged.

4. How do you know if the incorrect answer is due to an error in calculation or a faulty instrument?

If the incorrect answer is significantly different from the expected result, it is likely due to an error in calculation. However, if the incorrect answer is close to the expected result, it could be due to a faulty instrument. To determine the cause of the incorrect answer, it is important to double-check the calculations and also test the instrument for accuracy.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when plumb a tree using 240 N force?

Common mistakes to avoid when plumb a tree using 240 N force include using the wrong weight for the tree, miscalculating the force needed, and using a faulty instrument. It is also important to make sure the tree is stable and the force is applied evenly to avoid damaging the tree. Additionally, it is important to use proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear, when conducting this experiment.