Spanwise Lift force distribution?

In summary: Since lift force is a product of CL and local chord, the lift force distribution along the span is eliptical or at least as near as can be determined from the graphs.
ken
Hi

I wanted to get clear on this conclusion of lift distribution along the span of a wing.

Graphs in texts show that for constant chord wings, Cl distribution along the span is eliptical.
Conclusions:
1.Induced incidence is greater towards the tip.
2.Lift force at the root is PI/4 greater than mean and as local chord is a constant, lift force falls away in the same eliptical relationship as Cl toward the tip.

Now take an eliptical wing plan form. Texts show that CL is constant almost to the tip. Conclusions, except right near the tip:

1. Induced incidence is constant across the span.

2. As local lift force is a product of Cl and local chord and Cl is constant, the lift force distribution follows the same eliptical relationship as the chord.

The two plan forms result in the same eliptical lift force distribution along the span. Now logic would seem to dictate what defies common sense and seems to be way too easy but could it be that wing taper does not effect the distribution of lift force along the span. Is this conclusion correct or are the texts incorrect?

I can so only these 2 possabilities.

Regards,
Ken

Physics news on Phys.org
The most efficient lift distribution is elliptical. (unfortunately, doing space track work, I don't remember why or exactly what the efficiency is a scaling of)

For real wings, there is typically a fudge factor thrown in for non-optimal sections of the wing (Due to wing twist, chord length variations, etc). Calculating the actual lift distribution is nasty to the upteenth degree without some sort of CFD software (and even then...)

Hi Enigma

Your reply, is really not exactly what I am after here.

I am not trying to determine this to a high accuracy. Rather the graphs for various wing plan forms all strongly suggest that the distribution of lift force along the span is eliptical or at least as near as can be determined from the graphs.

That seems way too convenient to trust my interpretation.

What I am after is an idea of how correct this conclusion is.
Is it completely wrong or close?
If close, then how close for say a constant chord and an eliptical wing?
Is the variance within say, 30%, 10%, 5% etc.

I really just want to check if I am understanding this correctly or not.

Regards,
Ken

Anecdotal observation.

In 1958 I attended the British air show at Alderburgh. It was a moist day and as a new RAF light bomber came toward us, head on, a beautiful elliptical pattern formed from one wingtip to the other, formed of water droplets that had condensed out in the lower air pressure over the wing. It was a SEMI-ellipse, of course!

That's due to the wing vortex, which is a result of the lift distribution. Often the tip vortices are more noticeable than the wing vortex.

http://home.flash.net/~lauras34/sav15a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken,
Spanwise lift coefficient is what you multiply the local CL by. An elliptical wing is 1 across the entire semi-span (root end to tip). Most wings have taper and are defined by a taper ratio (tip end cord length/root end cord length).

For most straight wings the spanwise lift coefficient is given as a function of the fractional semi-span distance (x):
1. Taper Ratio = 1
From x= 0 to 0.86
= -1.3474x3 + 0.8774x2 - 0.2469x + 1.1736
From x=0.86 to 1
= -36.7776x2 + 63.5583x - 26.7419

2. Taper Ratio = 0.5
From x= 0 to 0.65
= -0.43567x2 + 0.39804x + 0.97582
From x=0.65 to 1
= -5.51768x3 + 7.29061x2 - 2.31958x + 0.97582

Please note for both of these the real life spanwise lift coefficient does not really ever drop below 0.6. You will have to make that adjustment when x gets high (for an approx sol you can ignore this)

This thread is 7 years old...

1. What is spanwise lift force distribution?

Spanwise lift force distribution refers to the variation of lift force along the span (or width) of a wing or airfoil. It is important because it affects the overall performance and stability of an aircraft.

2. How does spanwise lift force distribution affect aircraft performance?

The distribution of lift force along the span of an aircraft's wing affects the overall lift and drag forces, as well as the induced drag and stall characteristics. It also determines the roll stability and control of the aircraft.

3. What factors affect spanwise lift force distribution?

The main factors that affect spanwise lift force distribution include the airfoil shape, wing sweep, wing twist, wing aspect ratio, and angle of attack. These factors can be manipulated to achieve a desired lift distribution for optimal aircraft performance.

4. How is spanwise lift force distribution measured?

Spanwise lift force distribution can be measured through wind tunnel tests or through computer simulations using computational fluid dynamics (CFD). In wind tunnel tests, pressure sensors are used to measure the pressure distribution along the wing, which can then be used to calculate the lift force distribution. CFD simulations use mathematical models to predict the lift force distribution.

5. Why is an even spanwise lift force distribution desired?

An even spanwise lift force distribution is desired because it results in a more efficient and stable aircraft. It helps to reduce induced drag and stall characteristics, and allows for better control during flight. It also helps to distribute the weight of the aircraft more evenly, ensuring structural integrity and safety.