Register to reply

Why are pitch and frequency similiar to loudness and intensity?

Share this thread:
batman
Nov8-06, 02:18 PM
P: 2

I also have one more question! I have a test coming up on the properties of sound things likethe spped of sound etc? Does anyone have like an old test or something i can use to help study?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
ZapperZ
Nov8-06, 02:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by batman
Are you sure you didn't get this slighly off? It makes more sense to ask "Why are pitch and loudness similar to frequency and intensity, respectively?"

Zz.
billiards
Nov8-06, 06:52 PM
P: 747
speed of sound, p-wave = (rigidity/density)^.5

I think that's right anyway, what context do you need it for, seismology? acoustics?

rbj
Nov9-06, 12:47 AM
P: 2,251

Quote Quote by batman

I also have one more question! I have a test coming up on the properties of sound things likethe spped of sound etc? Does anyone have like an old test or something i can use to help study?
pitch and loudness are perceptual properties or quantities (how we think we hear such properties) whereas frequency and intensity are physical (how they are measured in terms of physical units). there is also an approximate logarithmic relationship between the perceptual and physical.

Register to reply