University of Waterloo

by Atomos
Tags: university, waterloo
Atomos
Nov8-06, 05:39 PM
P: 159
I know UW is a big engineering, math, and computer science school, but how is their physics program relative to the other top schools in Canada?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
JasonRox
Nov8-06, 05:50 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,328
Quote Quote by Atomos
I know UW is a big engineering, math, and computer science school, but how is their physics program relative to the other top schools in Canada?
Definitely high and probably the best.

They have a Theoritical Physics Institute in Waterloo itself! (Perimeter Institute.)

I would suspect that it is a great school for Physics.
Sane
Nov8-06, 05:55 PM
P: 223
Just a side note: Maclean's rated Waterloo the top University in Canada two years consecutively now. And I believe that's overall as well. As that ranking applies to Physics...? I have no idea.

Other Universities are actually outraged by this and withdrawing themselves from the rankings. Heh.

Wikipedia says:
The university has just completed construction of a $3.5 million addition to the physics building to house 2,000 networked computers, for use in the SHARCNET (Shared Hierarchical Academic Research Computing Network) supercluster. The building also links the physics building and the engineering complex, and as extra office space and computing facilities for the physics and engineering faculties.
Look at their website to read more about their Physics department. Warning: bias ahoy!

Atomos
Nov8-06, 06:02 PM

University of Waterloo

Yeah, I wouldn’t trust their site. I applied for physics there, but I am just afraid that maybe I should change to something they are defiantly strong in like Electrical Engineering.

My fears come from the fact that thier admission averages for the physical sciences are in the mid 70's.
Sane
Nov8-06, 06:32 PM
Oh yikes. You don't even know what you want? Why would you be second guessing yourself at the last moment?
Atomos
Nov8-06, 06:35 PM
I know precisely what I want: Physics, I just feared that it might not be the best selection for that school.
Sisyphus
Nov8-06, 06:42 PM
P: 61
Admission averages can be misleading. Usually, they have less to do with the quality and difficulty of the program, and more to do with the size of the faculty and how popular the program is.
Sane
Nov8-06, 06:43 PM
I'm currently asking a relative if she knows about their Physics department. I'll get back to you as soon as I find a response. I still don't understand why you would want to move in to Electrical Engineering if their Physics department isn't solid? Why wouldn't you just go to a different institution?
ZapperZ
Nov8-06, 06:44 PM
Mentor
P: 28,776
Why not try UBC? As far as condensed matter is concerned, UBC is on par with U. of Toronto. They got George Sawatzky a few years ago, and it has been reported recently that they have managed to snag Nobel Laureate Carl Wieman from Colorado. And they have always had a world-renowned optical spectroscopy group.

Zz.
Atomos
Nov8-06, 07:01 PM
Quote Quote by Zz
Why not try UBC? As far as condensed matter is concerned, UBC is on par with U. of Toronto. They got George Sawatzky a few years ago, and it has been reported recently that they have managed to snag Nobel Laureate Carl Wieman from Colorado. And they have always had a world-renowned optical spectroscopy group.

Zz.
UBC is my first choice , Waterloo (among other schools) is just back up. There are just a few things that bother me about UBC, namely the apparent lack of coop. However, Waterloo is working its way up on my preference list because of their outstanding coop program.
quasar987
Nov8-06, 07:04 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,768
(You can delete your posts. You gotta find where the button is)

Waterloo, is that the uni in toronto?

Is Lee Smolin a teacher at UW?
JasonRox
Nov8-06, 07:06 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Atomos
UBC is my first choice , Waterloo (among other schools) is just back up. There are just a few things that bother me about UBC, namely the apparent lack of coop. However, Waterloo is working its way up on my preference list because of their outstanding coop program.
Also, UBC is at the other end of the country!!!

If you got the scholarships, go for it!
Sane
Nov8-06, 07:09 PM
Quote Quote by Atomos
However, Waterloo is working its way up on my preference list because of their outstanding coop program.
Great to hear you've been looking in to the matter and have noticed that. It is a very important part about Waterloo! "The University of Waterloo is famous for being the groundbreaking proponent of co-operative education in Canada and currently maintains the largest such program in the world" ~ Wikipedia

Atomos, did you get an avatar because you were once a contributor, which has since then expired? I'm confused.
Atomos
Nov8-06, 07:12 PM
Yes, coop is very important for me. Correct me if I am wrong, but the two main criteria for grad school admission are marks and possible undergrad experience. Coop appears to be a good way to pad the latter.

edit: yes, I paid $20 a while ago and it seems to have expired after a year :-(
JasonRox
Nov8-06, 08:59 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Atomos
Yes, coop is very important for me. Correct me if I am wrong, but the two main criteria for grad school admission are marks and possible undergrad experience. Coop appears to be a good way to pad the latter.

edit: yes, I paid $20 a while ago and it seems to have expired after a year :-(
I'd be more concerned with NSERC Summer Research than Co-op as a key to graduate school.
Werg22
Nov8-06, 10:39 PM
P: 1,520
That's quite interesting. The match is definitely between UW and Toronto University, which one is best needs investigation.
George Jones
Nov9-06, 01:09 AM
Mentor
P: 6,037
Quote Quote by quasar987
Waterloo, is that the uni in toronto?
No, Waterloo is in Waterloo.

Is Lee Smolin a teacher at UW?
Smolin is at the Perimeter Institute, which is located in the city of Waterloo. Smolin has adjunct faculty status at the University of Waterloo.
fourier jr
Nov9-06, 07:22 AM
P: 943
Quote Quote by Atomos
it probably depends on what kind of physics you are interested in. it's probably the best in the world for quantum computing since it has many of the 'founding fathers' of qc there. i don't think i know anything about the rest. i've only ever looked into qc there.

Register to reply