How Is Magnetic Field Generated by a Stream of Protons?

In summary, protons have an intrinsic magnetic moment and behave like tiny magnets. They contribute to the formation of magnetic fields when aligned in the same direction, and can be affected by external magnetic fields. The movement of protons can also affect magnetism through their spin, and scientists can manipulate this spin to control magnetism for various applications.
PhysicsChick
A stream of protons passes a given point in space at a rate of 10 E9 protons/second. What mafnetic fiel do they produce 2.0 m from the beam?
i think i would use
I= 1.6 E-19x10 E 9
and then
B=(permativity of free space x I)/(2pir) using 2.0 as r? am i totally off or close?

Physics news on Phys.org
permittivity of free space = ε0 = 8.85 x 10-12 C2/Nm2

permeability of free space = μ0 = 4Π x 10-7 Tm/A

Are those close, or totally off?

In this case, you want μ0 (permeability), not ε0.

Your approach is correct. The magnetic field produced by a stream of protons can be calculated using the formula B = (μ0 * I) / (2 * π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current (in this case, the rate of protons passing a point per second), and r is the distance from the beam.

Plugging in the values given in the question, we get B = (4π * 10^-7 * 1.6 * 10^-19 * 10^9) / (2 * π * 2.0) = 6.4 * 10^-11 Tesla. This is a very small magnetic field, but it is still measurable and can have an effect on nearby objects.

Related to How Is Magnetic Field Generated by a Stream of Protons?

1. What is the relationship between protons and magnetism?

The relationship between protons and magnetism is that protons, which are positively charged particles found in the nucleus of an atom, have an intrinsic magnetic moment. This means that they behave like tiny magnets and can interact with external magnetic fields.

2. How do protons contribute to the formation of magnetic fields?

Protons contribute to the formation of magnetic fields through their intrinsic magnetic moment. When protons are aligned in the same direction, their individual magnetic moments add up and create a larger magnetic field. This is how magnets are formed.

3. Can protons be affected by external magnetic fields?

Yes, protons can be affected by external magnetic fields. When a proton's magnetic moment aligns with an external magnetic field, it experiences a force and can be pulled or pushed in a certain direction. This property is used in technologies such as MRI machines.

4. How does the movement of protons affect magnetism?

The movement of protons can affect magnetism through a process called spin. Protons have a property called spin, which is a type of angular momentum that can either be aligned or anti-aligned with an external magnetic field. This spin can influence the overall magnetic field of an object.

5. Can protons be manipulated to control magnetism?

Yes, protons can be manipulated to control magnetism. Scientists can use techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron spin resonance (ESR) to manipulate the spin of protons and control the strength and direction of magnetic fields. This has many practical applications, from data storage to medical imaging.