Register to reply

Optimization questions to get ready for a test

by NogardMX
Tags: optimization, test
Share this thread:
NogardMX
Nov11-06, 11:38 AM
P: 3
I was doing some optimization questions to get ready for a test. I came across one that stumped me. The question was "Find the dimensions of the isosceles triangle of the largest area that can be inscribed in a circle of radius r".

My approach was:
let y be the base of triangle
let x be the two equal sides of triange.

A(t) = (bh)/2
= (y*(x^2-(y/2)^2)^1/2))/2

I cant find the equation to relate the radius to the area. help?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
matt grime
Nov11-06, 12:40 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,396
Let the angle between the two longer sides be t, now imagine instead of drawing lines from the short edge's ends to the perimeter, you drew the lines to the centre of the circle, the angle these shorter sides (of length r) create would be 2t. There is a formula for finding the area in terms of sides and angles between sides, and t depends on the lengths chosen originally. This might help you.
NogardMX
Nov11-06, 02:40 PM
P: 3
Quote Quote by matt grime
Let the angle between the two longer sides be t, now imagine instead of drawing lines from the short edge's ends to the perimeter, you drew the lines to the centre of the circle, the angle these shorter sides (of length r) create would be 2t. There is a formula for finding the area in terms of sides and angles between sides, and t depends on the lengths chosen originally. This might help you.
What do you mean by "now imagine instead of drawing lines from the short edge's ends to the perimeter, you drew the lines to the centre of the circle, the angle these shorter sides (of length r) create would be 2t. "?

the formula for the area in terms of the sides of a triangle is

(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c))^1/2

where s is (a+b+c)/2
and a,b,c are the side lengths.

is that it?

Register to reply