Register to reply

Roots of a 4th degree polynomial

by Grantismo
Tags: degree, polynomial, roots
Share this thread:
Grantismo
Nov12-06, 10:00 PM
P: 4
Hi eveveryone I was just hoping for some quick help on frustrating physics related math problem. I won't go into detail on the actual problem becasue i know i found the correct polynomial but i was wondering if there was any easy way to find the roots to this polynomial:

3x^4-960x^3+91500x^2-6272000x+501760000=f(x)
*sorry i haven't figured out how to use latex or w/e it's called*

rational roots seems rather arduous with the numbers involved. Any suggestions?(I know there is only one answer about 125.98 i think but i was wondering if there was a way to find an exact answer algebraically or with calculus or something)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
Pyrrhus
Nov12-06, 10:33 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,279
Apart from using Ruffini's method (rational roots) or Newton's method, both which will require time to yield answers, maybe since this isn't a mathematical problem you can use Mathematica, Matlab, etc... for your solutions.

Also you could have tried Descartes' sign rule, but that wouldn't have helped much anyway.
Hurkyl
Nov12-06, 10:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,099
rational roots seems rather arduous with the numbers involved.
501760000 isn't a very big number. A computer should be able to factor that before you can blink. It can probably plug every number dividing 501760000 into that polynomial roughly as quickly.

i was wondering if there was a way to find an exact answer algebraically
Is there any reason why you can't simply define r to be a root of that polynomial, and then work with r?

Grantismo
Nov12-06, 11:18 PM
Roots of a 4th degree polynomial

I don't think that the roots are rational now that i've looked at a it or a while,
Cyclovenom if you could explain any of those methods i might try them.
Pyrrhus
Nov12-06, 11:57 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,279
Quote Quote by Grantismo
I don't think that the roots are rational now that i've looked at a it or a while,
Cyclovenom if you could explain any of those methods i might try them.
Certainly, i will try to answer any questions about the methods, but they are explained in these sites:

Newton's Method

http://www.ugrad.math.ubc.ca/coursed...ox/newton.html

http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/diff/der07/der07.html

Ruffini's Method

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruffini's_rule
Grantismo
Nov13-06, 12:08 AM
wow, the newton method is PERFECT for what I wanted, plus it will also give my teacher a huge laugh (inside joke about approximations)
Thank you SOO much :)

Register to reply