Troubleshooting Hook's Law for Balloon Placement in a Stretched Hose

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the question is asking for the work done by the hose, which obeys Hooke's Law with a spring constant of 102 N/m, on a balloon placed in a pouch attached to the stretched hose. After attempting to solve the problem using F=-kx and W=Fd, the correct equation is determined to be W = (1/2)kx^2, resulting in a positive work value. The discrepancy in the answer may be due to rounding off or using too many significant figures.
nemzy
the question:

A balloon is placed in a pouch attached to the hose, which is then stretched through the width of the room. Assume that the strecthing of the hose obeys hooke's law with a spring constant 102 N/m. if the hose is stretched by 5.30m and then released, how much work does the force from the hose do on the baloon in the puch by the time the hose reaches its relaxed lenghty

The answer:

this is how i tried to solve it...F=-kx according to hooke's law..so i did -(102)(5.30)= -540.6 N ..and work is W=Fd..so i mulitiped the force with distance 5.30 and got -2865.18 which is not the answer...what am i doing wrong? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by nemzy
the question:

A balloon is placed in a pouch attached to the hose, which is then stretched through the width of the room. Assume that the strecthing of the hose obeys hooke's law with a spring constant 102 N/m. if the hose is stretched by 5.30m and then released, how much work does the force from the hose do on the baloon in the puch by the time the hose reaches its relaxed lenghty

The answer:

this is how i tried to solve it...F=-kx according to hooke's law..so i did -(102)(5.30)= -540.6 N ..and work is W=Fd..so i mulitiped the force with distance 5.30 and got -2865.18 which is not the answer...what am i doing wrong? thanks
See, force is varying in a spring.. meaning you can't use [itex]W = F \times D[/itex]. Since work is the integral of force, the equation you want to use is:
[tex]W = \int_{0}^{x} F(x) dx[/tex]
or
[tex]W = \frac{1}{2} k x^2[/tex]

(In this case we integrate from x to 0, so we should remember to add a negative sign to our answer to show negative work)

so its (1/2)kx^2 - (1/2)kx^2)

but since initial is 0 we get -(1/2)kx^2

and k=102 N/m and distance = 5.30 m

so -(1/2)(102)(5.30^2) = -1432.59 J

however -1432.59 J is not the right answer..am i missing something here?

so its (1/2)kx^2 - (1/2)kx^2)

but since initial is 0 we get -(1/2)kx^2

and k=102 N/m and distance = 5.30 m

so -(1/2)(102)(5.30^2) = -1432.59 J

what is the right answer?

i have no idea..its those websites where u input the answer and if u get it wrong it tells u its wrong and when u get it right it tells u its right

i have no idea..its those websites where u input the answer and if u get it wrong it tells u its wrong and when u get it right it tells u its right
I see.. have you tried rounding off to a different certain number of places? I know that did it for me last year for physics problems online when I used too many sigfigs

The work done by the hose is positive since the force and displacement are in the same direction.

thx!

1. What is Hook's Law?

Hook's Law is a scientific principle that states that the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the amount of displacement from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the equation for Hook's Law?

The equation for Hook's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. How is Hook's Law used in real-life applications?

Hook's Law is used in various real-life applications, such as engineering, construction, and sports equipment. For example, it is used in the design of springs for cars and mattresses, as well as in the development of diving boards and trampolines.

4. What are the limitations of Hook's Law?

Hook's Law is only valid for elastic materials, meaning that the material can return to its original shape after the force is removed. It also assumes that the force is applied slowly and without any external factors, such as friction or air resistance.

5. How does temperature affect Hook's Law?

Temperature can affect Hook's Law in two ways. Firstly, changes in temperature can alter the stiffness of the material, which can affect the spring constant (k). Secondly, at extremely high temperatures, the material may exhibit plastic deformation, meaning it will not return to its original shape, making Hook's Law invalid.