Calculating Minimum Speed for a Bicycle Jump Across a Creek

• Thread starter Beretta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, Carlos is facing a decision of whether to attempt a jump over a 7m wide creek on his trail bike, with a ramp that has an incline of 10°. He is traveling at his bike's maximum speed of 40km/h. After calculating the time and distance he would spend in the air, it is determined that he should hit the brakes instead of attempting the jump. The minimum speed necessary for a successful jump is calculated to be 14.4m/s, which is higher than Carlos' current speed. Therefore, it is not recommended for him to attempt the jump.
Beretta
Carlos is on his trail bike, approaching a creel bed that is 7m wide. A ramp with an incline of 10° has been built for daring people who try to jump the creek. Carlos is traveling at his bike’s maximum speed, 40km/h. a) Should Carlos attempt the jump or emphatically hit the brakes? b) What is the minimum speed a bike must have to make the jump? Assume equal elevations on either side of the creek.

Velocity = 40km/h = 11.11m/s

vx = v cos theta = 11.11m/s cos 10° =10.94m/s
vy = v sin theta = 11.11 m/s sin 10° = 1.93m/s
(Not sure for example here if I should consider significant figure on each calculation or only in the final answer)

a)
To obtain time Carlos spends in the air:
Y(t) = y0 + vy(t) -1/2(g)(t^2)
(Is it only when Y is positive upward and objects are falling downwards g should be negative?)
0m = 0m + 1.93t – (4.905m/s^2)
t(1,93m/s – (4,905m/s^2)t )

t = 0s and t =(1.93m/s)/(4.905m/s^2) = 0.40s (Again not sure if I should round or not)

To obtain distance:
X(t) = x0 + v0x(t)
X(t) = 10.94m/s(0.40s) = 4.4m and Carlos should hit the brakes!

b)
To calculate the minimum speed:
Vertical Time = 2v0y/g = 2v0 sin theta / g
And then I put time in the horizontal equation thus:
X(t) = x0 + v0x(t)
7m = 0m + v0x (2v0 sin theta / g)
7m = (v0 cos theta) (2v0 sin theta / g)
7m = (v0 cos 10) ((2v0 sin 10)/9.81)
7m = 2(v^2)(0,1666)/9,81
v^2 = 68.67/0.332 = 206.8(m/s)^2
v = 14.4m/s

Is my reasoning right? I’m really in need of your comments, and thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. As for your specific questions:
"(Not sure for example here if I should consider significant figure on each calculation or only in the final answer)"
As a general rule, include one more figure in your calculations than you put in your answer. In this case, you are given, at best, 2 significant figures so you need 2 in your answer.

"(Is it only when Y is positive upward and objects are falling downwards g should be negative?)"
A coordinate system is something you impose on the problem yourself. What most people do- and I recommend- is take y to be positive upward (so "falling down" is negative) and g negative.

You calculated the distance Carlos will go before "touching down" again and found that it was less than the distance across the creek.
Okay, he shouldn't try it. I see no problem with your calculation.

You finally calculated the speed necessary so that horizontal dstance is at least 7 m. Once again, it looks good to me.

Finally, you calculated the minimum speed necessary to clear the creek and it was slightly MORE than Carlo's actual speed.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your comment.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between motion in 2D and 3D?

Motion in 2D refers to movement that occurs on a flat surface, such as a sheet of paper or a computer screen. It involves movement in two directions - up/down and left/right. On the other hand, motion in 3D involves movement in three directions - up/down, left/right, and forward/backward. This type of motion occurs in a three-dimensional space, such as the physical world we live in.

2. What is the significance of studying motion in 2D and 3D?

Studying motion in 2D and 3D is important in understanding how objects move and interact in our world. It is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and animation. By understanding the principles of motion in 2D and 3D, we are able to predict and control the movements of objects and create realistic simulations and animations.

3. How is motion in 2D and 3D measured?

Motion in 2D and 3D is measured using different parameters, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Displacement is the change in position of an object, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. These parameters can be measured using instruments such as motion sensors, cameras, and accelerometers.

4. What are some real-world examples of motion in 2D and 3D?

Examples of motion in 2D include a car moving along a straight road, a ball rolling down a ramp, and a person walking on a flat surface. Examples of motion in 3D include a plane flying through the air, a boat moving through water, and a person jumping off a diving board into a pool.

5. How does Newton's laws of motion apply to motion in 2D and 3D?

Newton's laws of motion apply to motion in 2D and 3D by providing a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of moving objects. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant speed in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. These laws apply to both 2D and 3D motion and are essential in understanding the forces and interactions involved in motion.