Register to reply

Is getting into an astrophysics program easier?

by mathlete
Tags: astrophysics, easier, program
Share this thread:
mathlete
Dec13-06, 10:21 PM
P: 151
On my apps i've been concentrating mostly on condensed matter or high energy physics, but I also love astrophysics and want to apply to one school to have the option open. However, i've heard that it's easier to get in (as in, scores are often lower for applicants). Is this true or not? I want to apply to Princeton's astrophysics program. If anyone could give me any idea of the average admits stats to such a program I would be grateful.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
leright
Dec13-06, 10:38 PM
P: 1,194
Quote Quote by mathlete View Post
On my apps i've been concentrating mostly on condensed matter or high energy physics, but I also love astrophysics and want to apply to one school to have the option open. However, i've heard that it's easier to get in (as in, scores are often lower for applicants). Is this true or not? I want to apply to Princeton's astrophysics program. If anyone could give me any idea of the average admits stats to such a program I would be grateful.
I would think getting a condensed matter position would be easier since there is more money available at those programs, typically.
mathlete
Dec13-06, 10:44 PM
Quote Quote by leright View Post
I would think getting a condensed matter position would be easier since there is more money available at those programs, typically.
You'd probably have a better shot at getting a fellowship or something... but I guess what I'm asking is if the pool of applicants is noticeably weaker in astrophysics? I'll take any advantage I can get at this point.

leright
Dec14-06, 06:21 PM
P: 1,194
Is getting into an astrophysics program easier?

Quote Quote by mathlete View Post
You'd probably have a better shot at getting a fellowship or something... but I guess what I'm asking is if the pool of applicants is noticeably weaker in astrophysics? I'll take any advantage I can get at this point.
Why would you believe the pool of applicants is weaker in astrophysics?
mathlete
Dec14-06, 07:10 PM
Why would you believe the pool of applicants is weaker in astrophysics?
Because I've ready that astronomy/astrophysics programs typically accept applicants with much lower stats like Physics GRE as many applicants are from liberal arts school and such, so I assumed that a strong candidate in physics would have a better chance if applying to astrophysics. I don't really know, that's why I'm asking.
complexPHILOSOPHY
Dec15-06, 03:14 PM
P: 360
I have no experience in this situation but I don't see how an astrophysics graduate program is going to lower their standards moreso than a high energy program. Other than the fact that HEP tends to involve more abstract, counter-intuitive mathematics, they are both difficult fields. What criteria do you have to believe that this is the case?

I would be surprised to find out that this is actually true but now I am interested.
Locrian
Dec15-06, 06:29 PM
P: 1,737
I agree with leright.
Philbin
Dec19-06, 06:33 PM
P: n/a
By the AIP statistics, yes, astronomy programs are almost always less competitive (measured by admissions rates and average scores) than physics programs, including at schools where both departments are top 10.

The one major potential exception to this is in fact Princeton, whose astrophysics graduate program is very small, very good, and very selective.

Purely anecdotally, I've found astronomy types on average a little less capable than the general physics population. (I'm a physics student who does research in astronomy, so I have at least some perspective on this.) Of course, there are some brilliant astronomy students.

If you're applying to a physics department, I doubt your subfield will make much difference one way or the other, unless it's a program that has few or no professors in your area of interest (and you wouldn't be foolish enough to apply there anyway). And heck, at my school, which has a large and excellent condensed matter program, the astrophysicists seem to be better funded these last few years; recent NSF and DOE budgets have not been good for everyone.

Register to reply