PF PHOTO CONTEST - Happy Holidays (12/15-12/21)

In summary, the photo contest is for holiday decorations. Pictures must be of a holiday decoration, celebration, activities, etc. and no pictures of christmas trees are allowed. There is a poll at the end of the contest to choose the best picture.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Happy Holidays!

With tonight marking the beginning of Hanukkah, and with Christmas looming upon us, I thought this would be a suitable theme for our photo contest. Your picture must reflect a holiday decoration, celebration, activities, etc. It can be of any religious or secular holiday, so independence day, new year, etc. would qualify. If you happen to choose a rather obscure holiday that most might not know, it would help if you write a bit of explanation.

In any case, please make sure that your picture has a clear depiction of the holiday being celebrated. In addition, since we already had a Christmas Tree contest, no pictures of christmas trees are allowed in this contest.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! 3 days into the contest, and not a single picture!

Oh well, looks like I will have to be the first one with a photo for this contest. This, of course, is the lights decoration at Epcot.

IMG_1962.jpg

Zz.

Cool picture! I'm hoping to get a camera again after Christmas, then i'll be back in the game again :)

Whos mothman? (should I know this?)

You can read more about mothman here.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/moth.html

Thats incredible! Nice story no wonderI didn't know about him he's american.

Guess I'll throw in my lot now that I'm taking pictures. From a store on Nassau Street:

http://www.astroskwurl.net/wreath.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You have 2 days left to submit a picture for this contest. C'mon! I'm sure there's plenty of christmas decorations all over the place around now, if not other holidays.

Zz.

Why do you have a zulu parade? Their homeland is africa. Is it because they don't get a parade there?

lol, nope they are a club called the Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club. They have been around for over 100 years I think.

mmmmm King cake!

Are the people on the right doing a zig heil?

SpaceTiger said:
Are the people on the right doing a zig heil?

They are screaming and calling for beads, toys, and the prized http://www.google.com/search?q=zulu+coconut". (The folks on the floats throw at the crowd a lot of stuff [except the coconuts, which are now handed since it's dangerous to throw them].)

Last edited by a moderator:
So is Halloween ok?

I suppose it is OK. However, since Halloween had its own contest, I'd rather not have it here in this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the deadline for submitting entries for the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The deadline for submitting entries for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - Happy Holidays is December 21st at 11:59 PM EST.

2. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to all individuals who are at least 18 years of age and have a valid email address.

3. Can I submit more than one entry for the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

Yes, you can submit multiple entries for the PF PHOTO CONTEST. However, each entry must be unique and follow the contest guidelines.

4. How will the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST be chosen?

The winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST will be chosen by a panel of judges based on creativity, adherence to the contest theme, and overall quality of the photograph.

5. What are the prizes for the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The first place winner will receive a cash prize of $500, the second place winner will receive $300, and the third place winner will receive $200. In addition, the winning photographs will be featured on our website and social media platforms.