Please answer this one quick question (about fuel cells)

In summary, the conversation is about a physics student trying to understand how fuel cells separate electrons and protons. The student mentions that they thought the only way to separate electrons from the nucleus is through extreme heat and pressure, but that is not the case in a fuel cell. They also suggest that the electro- is a type of filter, but that doesn't make sense. Another person suggests looking into chemical cells, ionic reactions, and redox reactions, and explains that fuel cells work by separating electrons from hydrogen atoms. The conversation ends with the student thanking everyone for their help.
dragoneye776
I'm a physics student trying to do a project on fuels cells. One thing I don't get is, when the atom goes through the electr-- whatever, how does it separate into electrons and protons.

I thought the only way to separate electrons from the nucleus is by extreme heat and pressure, like that of nuclear fusion. Obviously nuclear fusion isn't occurring in a fuel cell.

My only thought is that the electro-- whatever, is a type of filter, but then again, you just can't filter out electrons.

:uhh: :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, even if you don't know it, post something so that I know people are actually reading my question.

READ THIS

I thought the only way to separate electrons from the nucleus is by extreme heat and pressure, like that of nuclear fusion. Obviously nuclear fusion isn't occurring in a fuel cell.
I think you meant plasma instead of fusion

dragoneye776 said:
Electrons aren't in the nucleus to begin with. What a fuel cell does is separate electrons from hydrogen atoms, creating hydrogen ions (protons). These are chemical, not nuclear reactions.

Read this: http://www.howstuffworks.com/fuel-cell.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrode ?

You should look up chemical cells, Ionic reactions and redox reactions. The interplay of charge is very important in chemistry and happens all the time in reactions, even at room temperature and pressure.

You have probably come across a fruit-battery, like a lemon acid battery, supplying current by the reaction between the metal electrodes and the acid.

Its essentially a fuel-cell, the fuel is the electrode metal and the acid.

Thank You guys very much!

1. What are fuel cells?

Fuel cells are devices that convert the chemical energy from a fuel, such as hydrogen, into electricity through an electrochemical process. They are highly efficient and emit minimal pollutants, making them a promising alternative to traditional combustion engines.

2. How do fuel cells work?

Fuel cells work by combining hydrogen and oxygen to produce electricity, heat, and water. The process involves passing hydrogen gas over an anode and oxygen over a cathode, with an electrolyte in between. The reactions at the anode and cathode generate electricity and water vapor, respectively.

3. What are the advantages of using fuel cells?

There are several advantages to using fuel cells. They have higher efficiency compared to traditional combustion engines, emit fewer pollutants, and can be powered by a variety of fuels. They also have longer lifetimes and require less maintenance, making them a more sustainable and cost-effective option.

4. Are there any limitations to fuel cells?

While fuel cells have many benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. One major limitation is the high cost of production, which is currently a barrier to widespread adoption. Additionally, the infrastructure for hydrogen production and distribution is not yet well-developed, which can make it difficult to access fuel for the cells.

5. How are fuel cells being used currently?

Fuel cells are currently being used in a variety of applications, including transportation (such as in buses and cars), stationary power generation (for buildings and homes), and portable devices (such as laptops and cell phones). They are also being explored for use in larger-scale power plants and in space missions.