Register to reply

Does a magnet wear out?

by TSN79
Tags: magnet, wear
Share this thread:
TSN79
Dec22-06, 07:16 PM
P: 357
I was surprised not to find a question about this from before, but the question is simply; does a "normal" refrigerator magnet wear out? Will it eventually loose its power and fall to the floor...?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Gokul43201
Dec22-06, 09:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Yes, it will.
Loren Booda
Dec22-06, 09:59 PM
P: 3,408
Only quantized magnetization is permanent.

Gokul43201
Dec22-06, 10:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Does a magnet wear out?

Quote Quote by Loren Booda View Post
Only quantized magnetization is permanent.
What does that mean? What's "quantized magnetization"?
Chronos
Dec22-06, 10:54 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,454
'Wear' is a somewhat misleading term. Permanent magnets gradually decrease in strength, but this has very little to do with usage. The "life" of a permanent magnet depends on many factors. Naturally occuring forces conspire to knock the little domains out of alignment. But this is normally a very slow process. Temperature is a major player in this process. The higher the temperature, the faster this process will occur. Extreme heat [surpassing the curie point] will immediately randomize the domains. A sharp blow can also knock domains out of alignments, as can other nearby magnetic or electrical fields. Radiation can also knock domains out of alignment. But again, under normal conditions, neither your fridge or you will live long enough to watch the little fellow fall to the floor in exhaustion. At the quantum leve [e.g., electrons] magnetism is eternal.
Loren Booda
Dec23-06, 01:45 AM
Gokul43201,

By "quantized magnetization" I mean properties like the magnetic moments of the electron, muon, proton or neutron, and perhaps surface magnetic field quantum effects near a superconducting ring with Josephson junction.
Gokul43201
Dec23-06, 10:56 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
In that case, you should make it clear what you mean, because the terminology you used is, by no means, typically applied to these cases. Magnetization is a statistically defined quantity - it is a property of an ensemble of particles, not the property of a single particle. You can talk of the magnetic moment of an electron, but not of the magnetization of an electron!
Loren Booda
Dec23-06, 04:30 PM
Thank you, I will endeavor to remember that.
misnoma
Dec31-06, 12:30 PM
P: 16
godd answer chronos.
But for generality, the fact that the fridge magnet is on the fridge (steel door). This will act in the same way as a keeper. Hence it will maintain its magnetism for a substantial length of time. More than if it was just resting on a table for instance. Of course, the domain theory will dictate its eventual downfall.
misnoma
Dec31-06, 12:31 PM
sorry I meant good not godd!!!!!!!!!!!
Loren Booda
Dec31-06, 07:40 PM
Was that a misnomer?
misnoma
Jan1-07, 12:50 PM
Quote Quote by Loren Booda View Post