Register to reply

Macy's kills dogs for fur

by Rach3
Tags: dogs, kills, macy
Share this thread:
Rach3
Dec23-06, 06:40 PM
P: 318
NEW YORK - Macy's has pulled from its shelves and its Web site two styles of Sean John hooded jackets, originally advertised as featuring faux fur, after an investigation by the nation's largest animal protection organization concluded that the garments were actually made from a certain species of dog called "raccoon dog."

"First these jackets were falsely advertised as faux fur, and then it turned out that the fur came from a type of dog," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States.

...Orlando Veras, a spokesman at Macy's, a division of Federated Department Stores Inc., confirmed Friday that the retailer had removed the jackets, releasing a statement saying that it has a "long-standing policy against the selling of any dog or cat fur." He continued, "This policy is clearly communicated to all suppliers."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061222/...macy_s_dog_fur

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Gokul43201
Dec23-06, 07:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Why are dogs and cats treated different from minks, possums or muskrats?
edward
Dec23-06, 09:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 875
Apparently there is a shortage of faux fur in China where the garments were made.

Greg Bernhardt
Dec23-06, 09:27 PM
Admin
P: 9,293
Macy's kills dogs for fur

Quote Quote by Gokul43201 View Post
Why are dogs and cats treated different from minks, possums or muskrats?
minks, possums or muskrats aren't common pets. We think of our dogs and cats as humans.
Moonbear
Dec23-06, 09:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Yep, that's pretty much it, the emotional attachment people have for animals they consider "companions" rather than "livestock."

Of course, in this case, it goes even beyond that, because there are people who would opt not to buy ANY real fur, so them being told it's faux fur, and then learning that it's really animal fur would be a big issue for them, regardless of which animal it's from.
Gokul43201
Dec23-06, 09:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Yep, that's pretty much it, the emotional attachment people have for animals they consider "companions" rather than "livestock."
So it's from marketing considerations, not moral considerations. People!
Moonbear
Dec23-06, 09:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Gokul43201 View Post
So it's from marketing considerations, not moral considerations. People!
Yeah, it's definitely a bias people have. If it were up to my cat, she'd say make all the coats out of dogs, and she might not even object to other cats.
MeJennifer
Dec23-06, 10:12 PM
P: 2,043
"Macy's kills dogs for fur"

Sorry but that title is completely misleading.

But anyway, I do not understand this double standard that some people have by having no problems with leather coats or even fox or mink coats and then getting all upset about dog or cat skins.
dontdisturbmycircles
Dec23-06, 10:35 PM
P: 560
Lol, I dunno. I would feel OK being with someone who is wearing a fur coat (I don't wear fur. lol) but if I knew it was made of cat's fur.... that's just creepy. Human nature I guess. It doesn't make sense to me logically, but thats just how it goes I guess.
Yonoz
Dec24-06, 12:12 AM
P: 248
Quote Quote by dontdisturbmycircles View Post
Lol, I dunno. I would feel OK being with someone who is wearing a fur coat (I don't wear fur. lol) but if I knew it was made of cat's fur.... that's just creepy.
*Makes best Homer Simpson impression* Cat fur... Comfy...
Gokul43201
Dec24-06, 02:25 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
When I first heard about this story, I couldn't help chuckling a little. 'Twasn't so long ago that shops would sell fake fur as the real thing...now they sell real fur as fake!
Gokul43201
Dec24-06, 03:29 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold

The dog and cat protection act of 2000

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/CustomsToday/2...today_dogs.xml

Last year, Customs was mandated, under the "Dog and Cat Protection Act of 2000," to formulate an enforcement plan to stop the import and export of merchandise containing dog or cat fur obtained inhumanely.
I guess this makes it okay to import/export mink fur obtained inhumanely?
Ivan Seeking
Dec24-06, 03:38 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Funny thing: I have never met anyone who hates any animal more than a certain mink farmer. He absolutely hates minks. I guess the darn things are viscious. But in either case, we have many laws intended to prevent cruelty to animals. Mink are probably in there as well.

As another aside, I knew another guy who tried raising ostriches. After they totally kicked his *** one day he didn't like them anymore either.
Gokul43201
Dec24-06, 04:07 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
As another aside, I knew another guy who tried raising ostriches. After they totally kicked his *** one day he didn't like them anymore either.
This is priceless!
Ivan Seeking
Dec24-06, 04:22 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
I sure thought so!!! He was off work for about a week...
ShawnD
Dec24-06, 09:11 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 987
Did anybody else google to see what a raccoon dog is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccoon_Dog

I now want one of those as a pet. They look so cute.
dontdisturbmycircles
Dec24-06, 09:27 AM
P: 560
Here's another picture:

http://www.canids.org/gallery/Popup19383.jpg

They are pretty cute looking. lol :-)
Moonbear
Dec24-06, 11:45 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
But in either case, we have many laws intended to prevent cruelty to animals. Mink are probably in there as well.
Yes, and with animals used for fur, it doesn't pay to mistreat them...literally. An obvious sign of ill-health or distress in those animals is that their fur starts to become scraggly and dry and poorly groomed. If you want a very plush, high quality (and therefore high price) coat out of their pelts, you want to keep them very healthy and happy while raising them. Educating fur farmers that they can make more money if they treat their animals well has made more improvement in the animals' welfare than just passing laws.

I do respect people who choose not to use animal products of any kind (fur, leather, meat, etc.)...I disagree with them and will vehemently argue against them if they want to push that on others, but I respect that as their individual moral position. On the other hand, I don't have much respect when people pick and choose based on the animal's cuteness (snakeskin or eel skin wallets are okay, or leather tennis shoes are okay, but not coats from the cute furry minks).

Register to reply