by LM741
Tags: light, radio, speed, travel, waves
Share this thread:
LM741
Jan18-07, 04:12 AM
P: 130
hi all....

Something doesn't quite add up here:

A radio wave is an electromagentic wave, right.

It therefore travels at the speed of light, right.

Then why does it actually take a finite amount time (like secoonds or even miliseconds) to travel a couple of kilometers???????

mathematically, just doesn't make sense.

In theory, the time to travel a couple of km should be almost negligible!!
but its not- evidently!

thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tiny UAVs and hummingbirds are put to test
Britain to trial driverless cars from 2015
NIST corrosion lab tests suggest need for underground gas tank retrofits
Panda
Jan18-07, 07:11 AM
P: 220
1. They only travel at the speed of light in a vacuum, when propogating through a medium they are slowed according to the permeability and permativity of the medium.
C = 1/sqrt(Permeability * Permativity)

2. Air has nearly normal permeability and permativity so in practice they do travel a nearly the speed of light.

What specific case are you refering to?
Janus
Jan18-07, 07:24 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,361
Quote Quote by LM741 View Post
hi all....

Something doesn't quite add up here:

A radio wave is an electromagentic wave, right.

It therefore travels at the speed of light, right.

Then why does it actually take a finite amount time (like secoonds or even miliseconds) to travel a couple of kilometers???????

mathematically, just doesn't make sense.

In theory, the time to travel a couple of km should be almost negligible!!
but its not- evidently!

thanks
Let's see, the speed of light is just about 300,000 km/sec, so it should take 1/300,000 = 3.33 microseconds to travel 1 km. This is short but still an easily measurable time period. I've never heard of radio waves taking seconds or milliseconds to travel a kilometer or two.

antonantal
Jan18-07, 08:45 AM
P: 219
Radio waves travel at speed of light?

Did you take into account the time delays of the components in the emitter / receiver instruments?
Averagesupernova
Jan18-07, 09:44 AM
P: 2,499
What are you using as an example/proof of this delay?
LM741
Jan19-07, 09:44 AM
say for an example if i send an sms - it will only arrive at the receiveing host a second or two later.

i suppose these time delays are due to processing the data before transmitting it???
DaveC426913
Jan19-07, 10:51 AM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by LM741 View Post
say for an example if i send an sms - it will only arrive at the receiveing host a second or two later.

i suppose these time delays are due to processing the data before transmitting it???
That's one quarter of it, yes.
There's also the processing at the tower, the sending to another tower, and the processing at the receiving end.

Other than that, sure, your messages should just fly at the speed of light!
antonantal
Jan19-07, 11:14 AM
P: 219
This is really funny. Did you really think that your sms's arrive with delay because of the speed of light? Then on Christmas and New Year's Eve the light must be really slow. Hey if your friend lives on an upper floor there could be some relativistic time dilation involved when you SMS him/her.
Danger
Jan20-07, 02:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by antonantal View Post
Did you take into account the time delays of the components in the emitter / receiver instruments?
Not only that, but in some situations the signal might have to travel through several hundred kilometres of wiring (and switching), which does not propogate signals at light speed.
LM741
Jan20-07, 02:50 PM
if only i was as knowledable as you, antonantal ...

i'm glad my desire to learn amuses you.

to think about: “Arrogance diminishes wisdom”

Register to reply