Symbols for homeomorphic, isomorphic, homotopic

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, there is no universal convention for the symbols \approx, \cong, and \simeq, but in group theory, \simeq is used for isomorphic, while \cong is more commonly used for isomorphic. The symbol \sim is also frequently used for homotopic. However, there is no standard and each author may use their preferred symbol.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My professor seems to randomly use the symbols [itex]\approx[/itex], [itex]\cong[/itex] and [itex]\simeq[/itex] to denote either homeomorphic, isomorphic or homotopic. So, what is the official symbol for each?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's a universal convention for the first and the third, but in group theory "isomorphic to" is denoted by [itex] \simeq [/itex].

Isomorphic is more frequently [itex]\cong[/itex], though the latex tag for it is cong. The symbol Dexter gave is actually in my experience likely to beused for homotopic, though I also see [itex]\sim[/itex] a lot as well.

I have never used a text in which the author used a symbol for these concepts without first defining it.

No doubt, but the question is: which symbol did they use for each concept?

quasar987 said:
No doubt, but the question is: which symbol did they use for each concept?

That's what my post was meant to convey: there is no standard convention and so each author sets up his text to so that the symbol he likes most is used most frequently.

1. What is the difference between homeomorphic, isomorphic, and homotopic symbols?

Homeomorphic, isomorphic, and homotopic symbols are all used to represent mathematical concepts related to topology. Homeomorphic symbols indicate that two spaces have the same topological properties, while isomorphic symbols indicate that two mathematical structures have the same algebraic structure. Homotopic symbols indicate that two continuous functions can be deformed into each other without breaking continuity.

2. How are these symbols used in topology?

In topology, these symbols are used to compare and classify mathematical objects based on their topological properties. For example, if two spaces are homeomorphic, then they can be considered topologically equivalent and have the same number of holes or dimensions. Isomorphic symbols are used to compare algebraic structures, such as groups or rings, and determine if they are structurally identical. Homotopic symbols are used to compare continuous functions and determine if they can be smoothly deformed into each other.

3. Can these symbols be used interchangeably?

No, these symbols cannot be used interchangeably as they represent distinct mathematical concepts. While they may have some similarities, such as indicating equivalence or similarity, they are used in different contexts and have different meanings. It is important to use the correct symbol for the specific concept being discussed.

4. Are there other symbols related to topology?

Yes, there are other symbols used in topology, such as the symbols for topological spaces, open and closed sets, and continuous functions. These symbols are also important in understanding and analyzing topological concepts and structures.

5. How do these symbols relate to real-world applications?

Topology has many real-world applications, such as in physics, computer science, and engineering. These symbols are used to analyze and understand complex systems, such as networks and data structures. For example, isomorphic symbols are commonly used in computer science to compare data structures and determine their efficiency. Homotopic symbols are used in physics to study the properties of physical systems and understand the behavior of particles and fields.