Killing vector fields

by kakarukeys
Tags: fields, killing, vector
kakarukeys
Mar19-07, 02:35 AM
P: 190
Can a killing vector field generate a diffeomorphism that only shifts points inside a small part of the manifold and preserves points outside of it?

Rotation preserves the metric of a sphere but shifts every points on the sphere, I'd to find out if there is a killing vector field that generates local transformation?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Doodle Bob
Mar19-07, 04:58 AM
P: 255
Quote Quote by kakarukeys View Post
Can a killing vector field generate a diffeomorphism that only shifts points inside a small part of the manifold and preserves points outside of it?
by definition, killing vector fields generate isometries. so, for a global killing v.f. to exist, just find an isometry that fixes the entire manifold except for a "small part" of it. (I'm a bit skeptical about being able to do that, myself)
garrett
Mar21-07, 01:59 PM
P: 360
Tricky question... I think the answer is "no", at least for a connected manifold.

On a "small" part of the manifold, we may as well take the metric to be flat -- so, Minkowski or Euclidean. In n dimensions, flat space has n(n+1)/2 Killing vector fields. Any Killing vector field is a linear superposition of these. And I don't think you can get any linear superposition of these to vanish outside an enclosed region -- which is what you're asking for.

I'm sure there's an elegant way to prove this -- I'd have to think about it more. Maybe someone else will chime in?

kakarukeys
Mar22-07, 10:17 PM
P: 190

Killing vector fields

I'm thinking if this is a proof:

An isometry preserves the metric, it therefore preserves geodesics. It maps geodesics to geodesics. Assuming the isometry is identity outside a small region, choose three points that are on a geodesics, two outside and one inside the region. The isometry keeps the two points and any point between them outside the region fixed but shifts the 3rd points. So we have two distinct geodesics connecting two points, which is not allowed by ODE's theory, the geodesics equation is a simple ODE that has a unique solution given an initial point and initial velocity.

Register to reply