Dental drilling unit

by bobbobwhite
Tags: dental, drilling, unit
bobbobwhite is offline
Mar29-07, 11:54 AM
P: 53
An ME I know uses a "dental drilling unit"(his name for it) to finish metal prototypes. He bought it used from his dentist and says it's the absolute best hand-controlled tool for fine work, and recommends it to anyone who uses Dremel-type tools for their work(me) or even hobbies, and needs more precision. It uses compressed air, not electricity, and has much more torque and rpm's than Dremel-type rotaries that have almost no torque.

What is the exact name or nomenclature of this type of machine and where could I find a used one? (I have to know the correct name of it to search auction sites and dental drilling unit doesn't do it.)

Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Danger is offline
Mar29-07, 03:11 PM
PF Gold
Danger's Avatar
P: 8,961
Personally, I've never heard of it called anything but a dentist's drill. Since the operation is pneumatic, I'd start with looking for that.
pantaz is offline
Apr9-08, 02:20 PM
P: 586

Dental drilling unit

I really like the Foredom rotary tools. Heavy duty motors, interchangeable handpieces, very high quality. The model I have doesn't match the high-speed of a Dremel, but the 1/3 horsepower motor is awesome.

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Drilling was never too fun. Introductory Physics Homework 4
Dental Plan! General Discussion 3
Dental biotechnology Biology 2
Alaskan drilling General Discussion 7