maximum and minimum value question

by afcwestwarrior
Tags: maximum, minimum
afcwestwarrior
Apr2-07, 09:38 PM
P: 457
what does this mean , my question says sketch the graph of a function who has a local maximum at 2 and is differentiable at 2,

what does it mean by it is differentiable at 2,
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
afcwestwarrior
Apr2-07, 09:47 PM
does this mean that the slope is 0 at 2
afcwestwarrior
Apr2-07, 09:53 PM
well if u need to know what this means, it means if it is differentiable at 2 it is continous at 2

afcwestwarrior
Apr2-07, 10:02 PM

maximum and minimum value question

one more thing how do i sketch this graph, all it gives me is it is continous at 2, does it matter how i sketch this graph, does it have to be a certain type, does it have to look a certain way, in the back of my book it is a parabola and its continous on the negative side
baolkvn
Apr2-07, 10:20 PM
P: 4
Well, differentiable and continous is not equivalent. continous if differentiable, but if continous, we can't conlude it is differentiable.
2 formulas below are definition of continous and differentiable properties of a funtion, for example,F(x) :
+ F(x) is continous at x0 <=> limit of F(x) when x->x0 is equal to F(x0)
+ F(x) is differentiable at x0 <=> limit of [F(x)-F(x0)]/[x-x0] when x->x0 exists (that value is so called F'(x0) )
Anyway, note that : "differentiable" and "continous" is not equivalent. "continous" if differentiable, but if "continous", we can't conlude it is differentiable.
If you have anymore question, feel confidently to ask me.
Mystic998
Apr3-07, 12:14 AM
P: 206
Well, strictly speaking, it doesn't have to look particularly normal to satisfy the requirements. But likely for your purposes, you're going to want something that's continuous in an interval around 2 and appears "smooth" at 2 (i.e., it has no sharp edge).
Gib Z
Apr3-07, 02:49 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,353
Quote Quote by afcwestwarrior View Post
does this mean that the slope is 0 at 2
Yes. It also means it is continuous at 2. Seeing as they had a parabola, it seems this function is one where the domain is limited.

Register to reply