Jackson Electrodynamics problem 9.8a

by andrew1982
Tags: electrodynamics, jackson
Share this thread:
andrew1982
Apr9-07, 07:37 AM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
9.8a) Show that a classical oscillating eletric dipole p with fields given by (9.18) radiates electromagnetic angular momentum to infinity at the rate
[tex]
\frac{d\mathbf{L}}{dt}=\frac{k^3}{12\pi\epsilon_0}\textrm{Im}[\mathbf{p^*\times p}]
[/tex]
Hint: The electromagnetic angular momentum density comes from more than the transverse (radiation zone) components of the field.

2. Relevant equations
Dipole fields (9.18):
[tex]
\mathbf{H}=\frac{ck^2}{4\pi}(\mathbf{n\times p}) \frac{e^{ikr}}{r}(1-\frac{1}{ikr})
[/tex]
[tex]
\mathbf{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}(k^2\mathbf{(n\times p)\times n} \frac{e^{ikr}}{r}+(3\mathbf{n(n\cdot p)-p})(\frac{1}{r^3}-\frac{ik}{r^2})e^{ikr})
[/tex]
(n is the unit vector in direction x)

Electromagnetic momentum density (6.118)
[tex]
\mathbf{g}=\frac{1}{c^2}(\mathbf{E\times H})
[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
So I guess the angular momentum density is
[tex]
\mathbf{x\times g}
[/tex]
which with the fields in (9.18) simplifies to
[tex]
\frac{ik^2}{8\pi^2 \epsilon_0}\mathbf{(n\cdot p)(n \times p^*)}(\frac{k}{r^2}+\frac{1}{ikr^4})
[/tex]
if I use the complex Poynting vector
[tex]
\mathbf{E\times H^*}.
[/tex]
From here I'm not sure how to continue. This is the angular momentum density (per volume). If I integrate it over the whole space I get the total angular momentum, not only the part radiated to infinity. Since it is per volume I will not get the right dimension if I do as for the power radiated to infinity (integrate the Poynting vector over a spherical surface, radius R, and let R->infinity). What integration should I do?

I tried to integrate only the part prop. 1/r^2 (since I guess the other part will not "reach infinity") over a sphere with radius R and got
[tex]
\mathbf{L}=\frac{ik^3}{6 c \pi \epsilon_0}(\mathbf{p^*\times p})R
[/tex]

This looks similar to the answer, but will diverge in the limit R->inf. I also don't see how to take the time derivative of this. If I use the complex Poynting vector (which I guess I should?) the complex exponentials containing the (harmonic) time dependence will cancel.

Any hint would be appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Clau
Apr11-07, 03:18 PM
P: 11
Look at this link:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pran/...P506/hw04a.pdf
andrew1982
Apr12-07, 04:30 AM
P: 8
Hi
thanks a lot for the link! Very useful website :)

Ok, so my understanding after reading this solution is that the electromagnetic angular momentum that is radiated to infinity in time dt is contained in a spherical shell with radius r->inf. and thickness dr=c dt. So dL/dt is obtained by integrating the angular momentum density over this shell volume and "dividing" by dt.

Furthermore, I should use the time-averaged Poynting vector 1/2 ExH*, since the answer in fact is the average flow of angular momentum to infinity.

Is this understanding correct? Thanks again.

Register to reply