Register to reply

Simple but complete mathematical methods book?

by pivoxa15
Tags: book, mathematical, methods, simple
Share this thread:
pivoxa15
May11-07, 10:26 PM
P: 2,267
Can anyone recommand a simple but complete mathematical methods book written especially for undergrad physics students?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
neutrino
May12-07, 02:54 AM
P: 2,046
Boas is pretty good for undergrad physics. But then, it depends on what you mean by 'complete'. You can check the contents of the book(3rd Ed.) at amazon.
Dr Transport
May12-07, 08:02 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,474
Arfkin isn't too bad at the advanced UG/Grad level.

pivoxa15
May12-07, 06:45 PM
Simple but complete mathematical methods book?

Quote Quote by neutrino View Post
Boas is pretty good for undergrad physics. But then, it depends on what you mean by 'complete'. You can check the contents of the book(3rd Ed.) at amazon.
Complete as in complete for undergrads.
neutrino
May13-07, 12:00 AM
P: 2,046
Quote Quote by pivoxa15 View Post
Complete as in complete for undergrads.
I knew that. But undergrads in different schools around the world may be exposed to a little more or a little less of the "average curriculum". By now you may know that Boas does not cover group theory, for example.

Another book that I have heard about, but never read, is by Morse and Feshbach.
pivoxa15
May13-07, 06:23 AM
So a complete one would include group theory. I like to be on the safe side. However the depth of the maths shouldn't be too deep. So wide scope but not deep.
loonychune
May17-07, 07:40 PM
P: 93
Take a look at Riley, Hobson, Bence - Mathematical Methods

I'd say this has pretty much everything you'll cover in a 4 year degree.
Boas would also suit, but i'd say it's a bit more cookbookish than the likes of R, H, B.... Arfken is smashin' but better used in conjunction with a more elaborate book.. well i find that at the early years of my undergrad degree
pivoxa15
May18-07, 12:34 AM
I've had a look at Boas and was impressed. Its nice layout and font complements it even more. However for higher stuff like hilbert spaces, one will need Arfken. Does R,H,B have stuff on hilbert spaces? I think not. Maybe a combintation of Boas and Arfken would form a complete mathematical book I am after. Although it does have Representation theory and group theory.
las3rjock
May18-07, 12:47 AM
P: 235
Quote Quote by pivoxa15 View Post
Does R,H,B have stuff on hilbert spaces?
Chapter 17, "Eigenfunction methods for differential equations," covers the aspects of Hilbert spaces that are relevant to undergrad physics. I personally haven't used Riley, Hobson & Bence all that much, but I think that is because American universities tend to favor textbooks written by American authors.

Register to reply