Find a Square-Free Int. m such that Q[√m] = Q[ζ]

• Thread starter ElDavidas
  • Start date
In summary, the task is to find a square-free integer m such that Q[\sqrt{m}] = Q[\zeta], where \zeta is a primitive 6-th root of unity defined as \omega = \zeta i, with i^2 = 1. The minimal polynomial of \zeta is x^2 - x + 1. One approach is to use the theorem that states if S = \sum_{a=1}^{p-1} (\frac{a}{p})\zeta^a, where p is a prime and \zeta is a p-th root of unity, then S^2 = (\frac{-1}{p})p, making S^2 an integer
ElDavidas

Homework Statement

Let [itex] \zeta [/itex] be a primative 6-th root of unity. Set [itex] \omega = \zeta i [/itex] where [itex] i^2 = 1[/itex].

Find a square-free integer [itex]m[/itex] such that [itex] Q [\sqrt{m}] = Q[ \zeta ] [/itex]

Homework Equations

The minimal polynomial of [itex] \zeta [/itex] is [itex] x^2 - x + 1 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was intending to use the theorem that:

Take [itex] p [/itex] to be a prime and [itex] \zeta [/itex] to be a [itex] p [/itex]-th root of unity. if

[tex]S = \sum_{a =1}^{p-1} \big( \frac{a}{p} \big) \zeta^a [/tex]

then

[tex] S^2 = \Big( \frac{-1}{p} \Big) p [/tex].

This would make [itex]S^2[/itex] an integer. However, 6 is not a prime though. I'm really stumped in what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and by [itex]( \frac{-1}{p} \Big)[/itex], I mean the legendre symbol.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the roots of x^2-x+1?

The roots of that polynomial are the primative roots [itex] \zeta [/itex] and [itex]\zeta^5[/itex]. How would I now use this information?

No. What are the roots of that polynomial. You're making it too complicated. If I gave you that polynomial in you Freshman calc course, or whatever, you'd be able to write out the roots without thinking. What are the roots? Or better yet, don't write out the roots using THE QUADRATIC FORMULA, just write down a sixth root of unity using elementary complex numbers. HINT: If I asked for a primitive 4th root of unity, would i be acceptable? Or -i? You know that [itex]\exp(2\pi i/n)[/itex] is a primitive n'th root of unity, and that the others are [itex]\exp(2\pi i m/n)[/itex] for m prime to n.

Last edited:

1. Why is it important to find a square-free integer for this equation?

Finding a square-free integer for this equation is important because it ensures that the field extension Q[√m] does not have any redundant elements. This means that every element in the field can be uniquely expressed as a linear combination of 1 and √m, making it a simpler and more efficient field to work with.

2. How do you determine if an integer is square-free?

An integer is square-free if it is not divisible by any perfect square other than 1. This means that its prime factorization does not contain any repeated prime factors. For example, 6 is square-free because its prime factorization is 2 x 3, but 8 is not square-free because its prime factorization is 2 x 2 x 2.

3. Can any square-free integer be used for this equation?

No, not every square-free integer can be used for this equation. The integer must also be a rational number when expressed in terms of the primitive root of unity ζ. This means that the integer must be a multiple of 4 or a multiple of 3, or a combination of the two.

4. How do you find a square-free integer that satisfies this equation?

One way to find a square-free integer that satisfies this equation is to use quadratic reciprocity to determine which integers are quadratic residues (have square roots) and which are quadratic non-residues (do not have square roots). Then, choose a quadratic non-residue and multiply it by a rational number that is a multiple of 4 or 3, or a combination of the two, to get a square-free integer that satisfies the equation.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this equation?

Yes, this equation has applications in cryptography and coding theory. The field extension Q[√m] can be used to construct error-correcting codes, which are used in data storage and transmission to ensure that data is accurately received. Additionally, the primitive root of unity ζ is used in various algorithms for cryptography, such as the Diffie-Hellman key exchange.