Register to reply

Is it possible to maintain a perfect GPA in your college?

by pakmingki
Tags: college, maintain, perfect
Share this thread:
pakmingki
May16-07, 01:10 AM
P: 93
has it ever been done?
Sure, all one needs is straight A's, but it seems like with most majors that's simply impossible.
Especially at the school I'll be attending next year (UW), i think it's literally impossible to maintain a spotless GPA. This is because you simply get grade points for each class, instead of a letter grade that's worth a certain amount of grade points. SO an A doesnt mean 4 grade points; A teacher might give a 3.8 for a 95%, and like a 3.9 for 97%.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Mororvia
May16-07, 07:16 AM
P: 262
Yes, it happens all the time. Of course, as you say, it becomes more difficult if the grades are broken down. At my undergrad they only gave in multiples of 0.5. That means 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, etc. At my grad school, they broken it down like you explained. This was actually good for me since I'm not a 4.0 student anyway. More breakdown can also mean you get a higher grade too (Instead of a 3.5 you can get a 3.6 or 3.7).
Locrian
May16-07, 07:56 AM
P: 1,737
It does get harder to keep a 4.0 as you progress. It also becomes less important to do so. Late in your education good research experience (or work experience) will mean much, much more than a high GPA.

Brad Barker
May16-07, 08:00 AM
P: 429
Is it possible to maintain a perfect GPA in your college?

with two semesters left before i graduate, i still have a 4.0.

i could just as easily not have it, but i've been pretty savvy about course selection with the classes outside my majors.
mr_coffee
May16-07, 12:45 PM
P: 1,629
my friend is an ME and graduated with a 3.98 it ended up getting an A- in one of his courses.
fresnelspot
Jun1-07, 05:08 PM
P: 31
It changes due department. I am a student in Physics department in Hacettepe University in Turkey . fellows it is impossible to have a perfect GPA in here .I m not proud but this is the truth.
kdinser
Jun2-07, 06:44 PM
P: 338
It’s possible for every major in any semester and in any school.

The question I always enjoy asking is, is it possible for every student? I would say, absolute not.

For the most part grades reflect the amount of work and time you put into a class. I agree with this 100%. However, you will eventually reach a point when a persons natural talents will restrict or permit the level of success they can achieve by extreme and relentless training and practice.

In this case, school is no different then sports. Some people have a talent and some people don't. All the hard work in the world could not turn most of us into professional athletes. I am 5'8" 150 lb. With very limited athletic ability. I have trouble hitting a slow pitch soft ball, no amount of desire, training, and practice will ever allow me to become a slugger in the majors, it's not a physical possibility for me. I am terrible at throwing a ball on target (yet I seem to be quite good at throwing knives??? i.e., I have a talent or aptitude in that area). Again, there are not enough hours in the day to turn me into a major league pitcher regardless of the amount of effort put in. I doubt I could even qualify as a good minor league pitcher no matter how much effort I put in. I could go on for hours about the stuff that I and others are just plain not good at, but I hope the point is made
Cornellian
Jun3-07, 06:24 PM
P: 9
It's ALMOST impossible to maintain A or A+ in Cornell. Unless you're one of those people who stand out 1 in 50 or so. Professors pretty much DON'T won't you to get an A+ let alone an A. In order to get an A+ at Cornell, you better know more than the TA's or equivalent and impress the heck out of the professor.
Dox
Jun3-07, 08:41 PM
P: 26
From time to time one met a genius... one of that guys are incredible.

Around three years ago I was at ICTP and one of my classmates(and a good friend of mine) got a perfect 4. (that was not my case.... at all).

Of course we agree it depends on where you're studing... Ok, but Witten exists. Hehehehe!

I'm very proud of my, say, poor marks... but I try to have wise understanding, which could be more valueble at the end of the day.

C U in another life.
trickae
Jun4-07, 03:21 AM
P: 85
some people have the knack for it - but in tougher courses such as Computer or Electrical Engineering - thats quite a tough call. If you can easily sacrifice large blocks of time daily towards your subject you should be fine.

Register to reply