Register to reply

My simple proof of x^0 = 1

by Joza
Tags: proof, simple
Share this thread:
Joza
May29-07, 02:02 PM
P: 139
I always wondered, how can any number raised to the power of 0 be 1.

So, I came up with this! ( * = multiplication sign)

1 * 4 * 4 * 4 = 4^3

1* 4 * 4 = 4^2

1 * 4 = 4^1

Therefore, 1 = 4^0
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Kurdt
May29-07, 02:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,981
One can define exponentials in terms of the family of standard functions and it falls naturally that anything to the power zero is one. Exponentials are defined as follows:

[tex] n^x = e^{x\ln{n}} [/tex]

Now put x = 0 and see what happens.
Zurtex
May29-07, 02:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post
One can define exponentials in terms of the family of standard functions and it falls naturally that anything to the power zero is one. Exponentials are defined as follows:

[tex] x^n = e^{n\ln{x}} [/tex]

Now put n = 0 and see what happens.
Not such a convincing proof when I saw that, given thanks to my wonderful school system I'd learnt of exponentials as a continuation of powers and got taught how to get the taylor series of ex and stuff without respect to where e came from in the first place.

neutrino
May29-07, 02:16 PM
P: 2,047
My simple proof of x^0 = 1

[tex]1 = \frac{a^n}{a^n} = a^{n-n} = a^0[/tex]

What could be more simpler than that?
Kurdt
May29-07, 02:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Zurtex View Post
Not such a convincing proof when I saw that, given thanks to my wonderful school system I'd learnt of exponentials as a continuation of powers and got taught how to get the taylor series of ex and stuff without respect to where e came from in the first place.
I hear you! I was exactly the same until I started university and finally learned things in the "proper" order. I am still very opposed to the way they teach A-level maths in the UK and that is one of the reasons.
Shing
May29-07, 03:22 PM
P: 140
Quote Quote by neutrino View Post

I like this proof best. And I also think it is the formal proof.
Shing
May29-07, 03:25 PM
P: 140
Quote Quote by Kurdt View Post

[tex] x^n = e^{n\ln{x}} [/tex]

Now put n = 0 and see what happens.
I don't really get it, would you explain more please?
Kurdt
May29-07, 03:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Shing View Post
I don't really get it, would you explain more please?
If you set n = 0 you get the following:

[tex] n^0 = e^{0\ln{n}} = e^0 = 1[/tex]
bomba923
May29-07, 03:44 PM
P: 736
Shing,
[tex]\forall a \ne 0,\;a^n = a^{n - 1} a \Leftrightarrow a^n = \frac{{a^{n + 1} }}{a}[/tex]
Given that a1=a,
[tex]a^0 = a^{ - 1} a \Leftrightarrow a^0 = \frac{{a^1 }}{a} = 1[/tex]
StatusX
May29-07, 04:10 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,566
Quote Quote by Joza View Post
I always wondered, how can any number raised to the power of 0 be 1.

So, I came up with this! ( * = multiplication sign)

1 * 4 * 4 * 4 = 4^3

1* 4 * 4 = 4^2

1 * 4 = 4^1

Therefore, 1 = 4^0
Here's my proof that 4^0=0:

4^3=4*4*4+0
4^2=4*4+0
4^1=4+0
4^0=0

Can you explain why your proof is better than mine? (it is, but you haven't shown why)
mathman
May29-07, 06:00 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,039
Here's my proof that 4^0=0:

4^3=4*4*4+0
4^2=4*4+0
4^1=4+0
4^0=0

Can you explain why your proof is better than mine? (it is, but you haven't shown why)
This is a proof by analogy, but not by logic. You can just as well say:

4^3=1*4*4*4
4^2=1*4*4
4^1=1*4
4^0=1
Werg22
May29-07, 10:16 PM
P: 1,520
This is not a proof, it's a pattern. x^0 = 1 is defined.
prasannapakkiam
May29-07, 11:19 PM
P: n/a
Neutrino's proof is the basic elementary method. However, with Kurdt's method; I accept it. However one must be careful when taking logarithms, as this restricts the limit to which a function may take, as I found the hard way...

For example: x^x = y. Techniqually the domain has integers below 0. But when converting it to y=e^(xln(x)), it has immediately taken those integers away...

Anyway, I think that here it is valid. But how can this be proven for sure? Or is it completely unneccessary to consider here...
gunch
May30-07, 03:00 AM
P: 54
Quote Quote by neutrino View Post

Can you prove that [tex]\frac{a^n}{a^m} = a^{n-m}[/tex] when [tex]n = m[/tex]? Usually the proof is only valid when they aren't equal and then people define [tex]x^0=1[/tex] such that the property remains valid for [tex]n = m[/tex].
Gib Z
May30-07, 05:13 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,352
Quote Quote by gunch View Post
Can you prove that [tex]\frac{a^n}{a^m} = a^{n-m}[/tex] when [tex]n = m[/tex]? Usually the proof is only valid when they aren't equal and then people define [tex]x^0=1[/tex] such that the property remains valid for [tex]n = m[/tex].
Excuse me? Why do we have to work on the case n=m specifically when the proof works for all n and m? n=m is a nice case that lets us prove this nicely.
Kurdt
May30-07, 06:30 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by prasannapakkiam View Post
However, with Kurdt's method; I accept it. However one must be careful when taking logarithms, as this restricts the limit to which a function may take, as I found the hard way...

For example: x^x = y. Techniqually the domain has integers below 0. But when converting it to y=e^(xln(x)), it has immediately taken those integers away...
Thats a good point. My example is the opposite way round which I shall correct. But of course it doesn't solve the problem of something like the function you have stated.
D H
May30-07, 07:05 AM
Mentor
P: 15,067
0^0 is either undefined or arbitrarily defined to be some value, typically one. It is clear when examining a plot of z=x^y that the value of z at (x,y)=(0,0) depends on the direction via which one approaches this (x,y) pair. All of the previous posts have approached this point in a direction that makes the value appear to be one. I could just as easily make it appear to be zero by looking at [tex]\lim_{x\to0}0^x[/tex] which is obviously zero. I could just as easily make it any complex number!

Given any complex number [itex]a[/itex], it is easy to come up with a form that reaches [itex]0^0[/tex] as some limit and evaluates to [itex]a[/itex]. Suppose [itex]0<||a||<1[/itex]. Using [itex]1=n/n[/tex], [tex]a=(a^{n/n})=(a^n)^{(1/n)}\equiv x^y[/tex] where [itex]x\equiv a^n, y\equiv 1/n[/itex]

Note that both [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] approach zero as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex]. Thus [tex]0^0=\lim_{n\to\infty}(a^n)^{(1/n)} = a[/tex]

==================

0^0 is typically defined to be one for the sake of simplicity. This definition eliminates zero as a special case for power series, binomial expansions, etc. It is just a convention however, not a proof.
Gib Z
May30-07, 07:15 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,352
DH I think you made the mistake I was about to, for this thread. This thread isnt about the commonly talked about 0^0 which one expects to find, its just about the exponent of zero in general. His original post said he proved that 4^0 = 1, which we know on solid ground =)

Register to reply