Simple question [Signals and Systems]

In summary, the conversation discusses a periodic signal with period T=2 and its derivative being related to an impulse train with the same period. The values of A_{1}, t_{1}, A_{2}, and t_{2} need to be determined. The solution involves breaking down the signal into step functions and using the impulse function to calculate the derivative. The solution can be obtained graphically or algebraically.
maverick280857
Hi

The following question is from Oppenheim/Wilsky/Nawab chapter 1.

Consider a periodic signal

[tex]x(t) = 1[/tex] for [tex]0 \leq t \leq 1[/tex]
[tex]x(t) = -2 [/tex] for [tex]1 < t <2[/tex]

with period [itex]T = 2[/itex]. The derivative of this signal is related to the impulse train

[tex]g(t) = \sum_{k = -\infty}^{\infty}\delte(t-2k)[/tex]

with period T = 2. It can be shown that

[tex]\frac{dx(t)}{dt} = A_{1}g(t-t_{1}) + A_{2}g(t-t_{2})[/tex]

Determine the values of [itex]A_{1}[/itex], [itex]t_{1}[/itex], [itex]A_{2}[/itex], and [itex]t_{2}[/itex].

I got stuck with this one. Anyway here's my solution. Would appreciate any help in solving the problem.

[tex]x(t) = \sum_{k = -\infty}^{\infty}(u(t-2k) - u(t-2k-1)) + (-2)(u(t-2k-1) - u(t-2k-2))[/tex]

so

[tex]x(t) = \sum_{k = -\infty}^{\infty}u(t-2k) - 3\sum_{k = -\infty}^{\infty}u(t-2k-1)) -2\sum_{k = -\infty}^{\infty}u(t-2k-2) [/tex]

so

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = g(t) - 3g(t-1) - g(t-2)[/tex]

which is wrong...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Okay I got it graphically, but what if I want to do it algebraically?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your solution. Your approach is correct, but there is a small error in your final equation for the derivative. The correct equation should be:

\frac{dx}{dt} = g(t) - 3g(t-1) + 2g(t-2)

This is because the signal x(t) is equal to 1 from 0 to 1, and then -2 from 1 to 2. Therefore, when taking the derivative, the -2 will become +2.

From this, we can determine the values of A1, t1, A2, and t2:

A1 = 1, t1 = 0
A2 = -3, t2 = 1
A3 = 2, t3 = 2

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

What is a signal in the context of signals and systems?

A signal is a function that carries information about a physical phenomenon. In the context of signals and systems, signals can represent various types of physical quantities such as sound, images, or electrical currents.

What are the different types of signals?

There are three main types of signals in the context of signals and systems: continuous-time signals, discrete-time signals, and digital signals. Continuous-time signals are defined for all values of time, while discrete-time signals are defined only at specific time instances. Digital signals, on the other hand, are discrete-time signals that can only take on a finite number of values.

What is a system in the context of signals and systems?

A system is a device or process that takes in a signal as an input and produces a new signal as an output. In the context of signals and systems, systems can be physical systems such as electronic circuits, or mathematical systems such as filters or algorithms.

What is the difference between linear and nonlinear systems?

A linear system is one in which the output is directly proportional to the input. This means that if the input is doubled, the output will also double. In contrast, a nonlinear system does not have this property and the output is not directly proportional to the input.

How are signals and systems used in real-world applications?

Signals and systems are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as communication systems, audio and video processing, control systems, and image processing. They are also fundamental in fields such as biomedical engineering, robotics, and signal processing. Understanding signals and systems is essential for designing and analyzing these systems and applications.