How Does the Work-Energy Principle Apply in a Car Collision?

In summary: I understood what you were saying.In summary, the wall does work on the car. Work done = force x distance moved. The force depends on the mass of the car and how long the car takes to slow down.
viper_ace
Need help on work-energy principle!

How do work relate to energy?

If a car which have kinetic energy of 10,000 Joules. A collide with a wall but the wall doesn't move so does the car do the work on the wall? But in the the book they state that energy spend = workdone.

only the wall that do work on the car in this case because the car chasee would collide backward

please help i am really confuse, i am grade 9 student

Physics news on Phys.org
The wall does work on the car. Work done = force x distance moved.
The best way to look at this problem is to consider all the mass of the car to be located at one point in space -at the centre of mass .Then work done = force wall exerts on car x the distance from the centre of mass to the wall.The force depends on the mass of the car and how long the car takes to slow down because force = mass x (initial speed - final speed)/ time taken to slow down.

no displacement = no work

kurious said:
The wall does work on the car. Work done = force x distance moved.
Since the wall doesn't move (displacement = zero) it does no work on the car.

The wall certainly exerts a force on the car, which does change the KE of the center of mass. One can integrate Newton's 2nd law to find that:
Force X Displacement of center of mass = ΔKE (of center of mass)

Here's a similar situation: You jump up into the air. Does the ground do work on you? No! There is no displacement at the point of application of the force, so no work is done. This makes sense: The ground is not an energy source. The energy for your jump comes from converting chemical potential energy (in your muscles) to KE.

Doc Al said:
Since the wall doesn't move (displacement = zero) it does no work on the car.

I actually tried this experiment once. From my reference frame the wall appeared to move. It also appeared to have a significant "impact" on the appearance of my car.

In the rest frame of the wall, after impact, the car loses 10 kJ of (kinetic) energy. Does the wall gain 10 kJ of energy from the car?

In the rest frame of the car, the wall is moving. After impact, in the same frame, the car is moving with (almost) KE = 10 kJ. Does the wall lose energy, transferring 10 kJ to the car?

This issue is probably best understood by assuming a wall that is a gazillion times more massive than the car, but can still be affected by work and impulse.

Last edited:
turin said:
In the rest frame of the wall, after impact, the car loses 10 kJ of (kinetic) energy. Does the wall gain 10 kJ of energy from the car?
I would say that the 10 kJ goes to deformation of the car and increase of thermal energy in car and wall. Not into increase of KE of wall.
In the rest frame of the car, the wall is moving. After impact, in the same frame, the car is moving with (almost) KE = 10 kJ. Does the wall lose energy, transferring 10 kJ to the car?
Yes, energy is frame dependent. The (massive) wall loses energy--I would say 20 kJ: 10 kJ goes into deformation/thermal energy and 10 kJ goes into the KE of the car.
This issue is probably best understood by assuming a wall that is a gazillion times more massive than the car, but can still be affected by work and impulse.
Right.

work

Work is equal to (F)(d), so since the wall does not move the car does no work on the wall. If you consider Newton's Third Law (every action has an equal and opposite reaction) then the wall exerts a force back on the car. Depending on whether this is an elastic (like a ball bouncing off rubber) or inelastic (like throwing a piece of gum at a wall) the wall will transfer that energy back to the truck in a different way. Keep in mind though, that not all of the original 10,000 J has to be transferred back to the truck; some of this energy could be spent elsewhere, such as heating up the wall.

The collision was more inelastic.

I didn't check the wall to see how hot it was. lol.

My local body shop did a lot of "work" on the car.
-Mike

In my comments I assume that when the car slams into the wall we have pretty close to a perfectly inelastic collision.

Doc Al said:
In my comments I assume that when the car slams into the wall we have pretty close to a perfectly inelastic collision.

Doc Al,
Don't try this at home! Your assumption is correct. I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, I was just having some fun at my own expense. Many students have trouble with the concept of work. Your explanation is a good one.
-Mike

1. What is the work-energy principle?

The work-energy principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, when a force is applied to an object and it moves, the work done by that force is converted into the object's kinetic energy.

2. How is the work-energy principle related to the laws of motion?

The work-energy principle is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. In fact, it can be derived from the second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). By using this equation and integrating over the distance an object moves, we can arrive at the work-energy principle.

3. Can the work-energy principle be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the work-energy principle can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. It can also be applied to systems of multiple objects.

4. How is the work-energy principle useful in real-world applications?

The work-energy principle has many practical applications, such as in designing machines and structures, calculating the energy efficiency of various systems, and understanding the behavior of moving objects in everyday life. It is also a key concept in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and physics.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the work-energy principle?

One common misconception about the work-energy principle is that it only applies to objects moving at a constant speed. In reality, it can be applied to objects with varying speeds and even objects at rest. Another misconception is that work and energy are the same thing, when in fact work is a measure of energy transfer. It is important to understand these distinctions when applying the work-energy principle.