Computing the homology of R^3 - S^1

• Thread starter bham10246
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary, the homology of R^3 - S^1 can be computed by using the excision formula and considering the homology of the pair (X,A) where A is the standard copy of S^1 in the x-y plane and X is R^3. The homology groups are H_0(X,A) = Z, H_1(X,A) = Z, H_2(X,A) = 0.
bham10246
Compute the homology of R^3 - S^1.

Actually a friend of mine asked me this question and I came up with the following way to solve this but I'm not sure if it's correct.

My analysis:

H_0 = Z (the integers) because it's path connected.
H_1 = Z (the friend said so but I don't believe him)
H_2 = ??

R^3 - {point} = S^2 (= means homeomorphic to or homotopic to)
R^3 - {line} = S^2 - {2 points} = R^2 - {1 point}

So R^3 - S^1 = R^3 - {a line together with a point at infinity} = R^2 - {2 points} = figure eight

Is this a valid reasoning? If so, then H_0 = Z, H_1 = Z direct sum Z, H_2 = 0.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about this stuff, but I know that the homotopy type of R^3-S^1 actually depends on the choice of embedding of S^1. I remember my professor said they can use the homotopy of R^3-S^1 to study knots.

So it depends which S^1. But I think it's clear that under the standard embedding of S^1 H_n=0 for n>0. I could be wrong about this though.

There are such things as excision formulae, you know. I think we can assume that S^1 means the natural copy of S^1 sitting in the x-y plane.

It seems reasonably clear to me that H_1 is Z, since the fundamental group is Z (you just count the number of times you loop around the copy of S^1), and H_1 is the abelianization of the fundamental group. This just leaves H_2 to work out.

Last edited:
But wouldn't looping around the copy of S^1 be trivial (since we can just pull the loop into the z-plane a little and then deform it to a point).

EDIT - never mind, I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Thanks. You guys are fantastic! Yes, so if we take A = S^1 and X = R^3, then I got
H_3 (X,A)=0,
H_2 (X,A)= Z,
H_1 (X,A)= Z,
H_0 (X,A)= Z.

Can someone explain to me why the map f: H_0(A) --> H_0(Z) must be a constant (the zero) map? If this is a constant map, then I was able to conclude (algebraically that) H_1 (X,A)= Z.

H_1(X)=0 --> H_1(X,A) --> H_0(A) =Z --> H_0(X)=Z --> H_0(X,A) --> 0

It suffices to show that the map H_0(X)-->H_0(X,A) is the identity map (or an isomorphism, at any rate), to demonstrate that the map H_0(A)-->H_0(X) is the zero map. Can you do this (I've not thought about it, to be honest).

1. What is the purpose of computing the homology of R^3 - S^1?

The purpose of computing the homology of R^3 - S^1 is to understand the topological structure of the space R^3 - S^1. Homology is a mathematical tool used in topology to study the number and types of holes in a space.

2. What is the definition of homology?

Homology is a mathematical concept used in topology to measure the number and types of holes in a space. It is a tool used to understand the topological structure of a space.

3. How is the homology of R^3 - S^1 computed?

The homology of R^3 - S^1 is computed using algebraic topology techniques. This involves constructing a chain complex, which is a sequence of vector spaces and linear maps, that captures the topology of the space. The homology groups are then computed from this chain complex.

4. What does the homology of R^3 - S^1 tell us about the space?

The homology of R^3 - S^1 provides information about the number and types of holes in the space. For example, the first homology group, H1, represents the number of independent loops in the space, while the second homology group, H2, represents the number of independent voids or cavities. This information can be used to classify and distinguish different topological spaces.

5. Why is it important to compute the homology of R^3 - S^1?

Computing the homology of R^3 - S^1 is important because it allows us to understand the topological structure of the space. This information has applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, where understanding the properties of spaces is crucial. Additionally, homology can be used to prove theorems and make predictions about the behavior of a space.