Can Basis Ambiguity be Preserved for Entangled Particles?

In summary, the author makes the claim that it is always possible to choose a different basis for particles in an entagled state, but this is not always the case. StatusX provides a workaround for this problem.
Talisman
I asked this question over in the QM forum, but it fizzled out there. I think it's more appropriate here anyway so I'll post it. If this is against forum rules, I apologize!

I'm reading a paper on decoherence (preprint http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0105127" ), and am afraid I don't grasp one of the claims the author makes. Briefly, consider an entagled state of two particles:

[tex]|\psi{\rangle} = \sum_i x_i |A_i{\rangle}|B_i{\rangle}[/tex]

He claims that it is always possible to choose a different basis for the first particle, and find a new basis for the second so that the sum still has the same form:

[tex]|\psi{\rangle} = \sum_i y_i |A'_i{\rangle}|B'_i{\rangle}[/tex]

However, in the case of three particles:

[tex]|\psi{\rangle} = \sum_i x_i |A_i{\rangle}|B_i{\rangle}|C_i{\rangle}[/tex]

Then the basis ambiguity is lost: one cannot, in general, pick a different basis for A and expect to get a similar representation with alternate bases for B and C.

Perhaps my lin alg is a bit rusty, but I cannot prove either claim. Can anyone elucidate?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's possible in general. The simplest case is when both vector spaces are two dimensional. For example, say the first, V, has basis [itex]e_1,e_2[/itex] and the second, W, has basis [itex]d_1,d_2[/itex]. Then define the diagonal tensor [itex]T = e_1 d_1[/itex].

Now we take a new basis for V such that [itex]e_1=e_1'+e_2', e_2=e_1'-e_2'[/itex]. An arbitrary new basis for W will have:

[tex] d_1 = a d_1' + b d_2' [/tex]

[tex] d_2 = c d_1' + d d_2' [/tex]

for some a,b,c,d with ad-bc non-zero. Then in this new system T becomes:

[tex] V = e_1 d_1 = (e_1'+e_2')(a d_1' + b d_2' ) = a e_1' d_1' + a e_2'd_1' + b e_1' d_2' + b e_2' d_2' [/tex]

for this to be diagonal, we must have a=b=0, which is impossible.

Last edited:
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but: the claim wasn't that one can pick an arbitrary new basis for V and find a corresponding one for W, but that such a basis exists.

Maybe you should explain what this is for. I mean, if that's what you're asking, why not just take the original bases, or slightly less trivially, a permutation or scalar multiple of them.

Maybe you should explain what this is for.

I guess I just want to follow that paper in depth, and to do that, I want to get a better intuitive understanding of some of the material.

In any case, you inspired me to prove that it's impossible in general, assuming we're sticking to orthonormal bases:

[tex]e_1 = sin \alpha e_1' + cos \alpha e_2'[/tex]
[tex]e_2 = cos \alpha e_1' - sin \alpha e_2'[/tex]

[tex]d_1 = sin \beta d_1' + cos \beta d_2'[/tex]
[tex]d_2 = cos \beta d_1' - sin \beta d_2'[/tex]

[tex]c_1 e_1 d_1 + c2 e_2 d_2 = c_1(sin \alpha sin \beta e_1' d_1' + sin \alpha cos \beta e_1' e_2' + cos \alpha sin \beta e_2' d_1' + cos \alpha cos \beta c_2' d_2') + [/tex]
[tex]c_2(cos \alpha cos \beta e_1' d_1' - cos \alpha sin \beta e_1' e_2' - sin \alpha cos \beta c_2' d_1' + sin \alpha sin \beta c_2' d_2')[/tex]

The coefficients of [tex] e_1' d_2' [/tex] and [tex] e_2' d_1' [/tex] are
[tex] c_1 sin \alpha cos \beta - c_2 cos \alpha sin \beta [/tex] and
[tex] c_1 cos \alpha sin \beta - c_2 sin \alpha cos \beta[/tex]

respectively. Both must be zero, yielding [tex]c_1 = c_2[/tex], which is of course not true in general (or alternatively the trivial [tex]\alpha = \beta = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex])

Last edited:
Ah, now I see what you're asking.

Suppose that you have a state that's 'diagonal' with respect to a particular pair of bases for A and B.

The claim is that for every basis of A, there exists a basis for B such that your state is also diagonal with respect to those bases.

It seems you are right, and I misrepresented the claim:

The basis ambiguity – the ability to re-write [tex]|\phi\rangle[/tex], Eq.
(4.2), in any basis of, say, the system, with the superposition
principle guaranteeing existence of the corresponding
pure states of the apparatus – disappears when an
additional system, E, performs a premeasurement on A

Where [tex]|\phi \rangle = \alpha |a0\rangle |b0\rangle + \beta |a1\rangle |b1\rangle[/tex]

But doesn't my previous post show that this is false?

To be clear, he introduces this 'basis ambiguity' with the following:

[tex]|\Psi_t\rangle = \sum_i a_i |s_i\rangle |A_i\rangle = \sum_i b_i |r_i\rangle |b_i\rangle[/tex]

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
The claim is that for every basis of A, there exists a basis for B such that your state is also diagonal with respect to those bases.

I think the claim is that there exist some new bases A and B such that the state is diagonal wrt those bases. (Yes, I realize this thread is a year old ;))

Actually, StatusX's idea makes short work of it, I think:

Let [tex]T = e_1d_1[/tex] as he does and
[tex] e_1 = a e_1' + b e_2' [/tex]
[tex] d_1 = c d_1' + d d_2' [/tex]

Then

[tex]T = (a e_1' + b e_2')(c d_1' + d d_2')
= ac e_1'd_1' + ad e_1'd_2' + bc e_2'd_1' + bd e_2'd_2'[/tex]

Then the diagonal constraint gives:

[tex]ad = bc = 0[/tex]

Which leaves us with... scaling the original bases? What's the author really saying? Where is the "basis ambiguity"?

Yes, I know this thread is way old :)

I just stumbled upon something which partially resolves my question. I haven't worked out the details of when the rearrangement is possible, but an easy example is:

[tex]|\psi{\rangle} = |x+{\rangle}|x+{\rangle} + |x-{\rangle}|x-{\rangle}[/tex]
[tex] = |y+{\rangle}|y+{\rangle} + |y-{\rangle}|y-{\rangle}[/tex]
[tex] = |z+{\rangle}|z+{\rangle} + |z-{\rangle}|z-{\rangle}[/tex]

1. What is basis ambiguity and how does it relate to entangled particles?

Basis ambiguity refers to the fact that the basis (or reference frame) used to measure a quantum system can affect the outcome of the measurement. In the case of entangled particles, their states are interconnected and cannot be described independently, so the basis used to measure one particle can affect the state of the other particle.

2. Can basis ambiguity be preserved for entangled particles?

Yes, basis ambiguity can be preserved for entangled particles. This means that the basis used to measure one particle can be preserved or maintained in the other particle's measurement outcome. This is important in quantum information processing and communication, where maintaining basis ambiguity is essential for preserving the security of quantum systems.

3. What are the implications of preserving basis ambiguity for entangled particles?

The preservation of basis ambiguity for entangled particles has implications for quantum information processing and communication. It allows for secure quantum communication protocols, such as quantum key distribution, and also enables the implementation of quantum algorithms in quantum computing.

4. How is basis ambiguity preserved for entangled particles?

Basis ambiguity for entangled particles can be preserved through the use of certain quantum operations, such as unitary operations and entanglement swapping. These operations allow for the transfer of basis ambiguity from one particle to another, preserving the relationship between their measurements.

5. What challenges exist in preserving basis ambiguity for entangled particles?

One challenge in preserving basis ambiguity for entangled particles is the potential for decoherence, or the loss of quantum coherence, which can occur due to interactions with the environment. Decoherence can disrupt the entanglement between particles and affect the preservation of basis ambiguity. Other challenges include the difficulty in controlling quantum systems and the high level of precision required for maintaining basis ambiguity.