Register to reply

Question on a book i am reading.

by Leo Duluc
Tags: book, reading
Share this thread:
Leo Duluc
Jun27-07, 12:09 AM
P: 4
Hi I am reading the book "Introduction to logic and the methodology of deductive sciences" and I'm doing my best on understandig it and so far so good, but I ran to the example of the book: " for any number x, if x=0 or y not equal to 0, then there exists a number z such that x=y.z" I just want somebody to explain the sentential function and what does it mean and please give an example.

thank you very much.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
DeadWolfe
Jun27-07, 12:43 AM
P: 461
It means division makes sense.
HallsofIvy
Jun27-07, 05:06 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,544
Quote Quote by Leo Duluc View Post
Hi I am reading the book "Introduction to logic and the methodology of deductive sciences" and I'm doing my best on understandig it and so far so good, but I ran to the example of the book: " for any number x, if x=0 or y not equal to 0, then there exists a number z such that x=y.z" I just want somebody to explain the sentential function and what does it mean and please give an example.

thank you very much.
If y is not 0, then z= x/y. If x= 0 then you can take z= 0 whatever y is In either case you have a number z such that x= y.z. Or, as DeadWolfe said, "Division makes sense".

Kummer
Jun27-07, 08:16 AM
P: 291
Question on a book i am reading.

"Division makes sense" (to quote the other users).

In a commutative unitary ring R for all non-zero elements that have multiplication inverses. So if a is such an interger then b/a = b*c where c is the multiplicative inverse of b.
symbolipoint
Jun27-07, 05:31 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,822
What topic is this, and which named course would contain a study of this topic?
Feldoh
Jun27-07, 06:24 PM
P: 1,345
Sounds like number theory...
Kummer
Jun27-07, 09:35 PM
P: 291
Quote Quote by symbolipoint View Post
What topic is this, and which named course would contain a study of this topic?
Abstract Algebra.
fopc
Jun28-07, 03:52 AM
P: 90
Quote Quote by Leo Duluc View Post

thank you very much.

In this particular example, the author is trying to make
points about the scope of the quantifiers (really nothing more).

Clearly, it's an open formula. So as it stands, it asserts nothing definite. It's neither true nor false. Meaning is really not relevant.

Register to reply