Nevada couple blame Internet for neglect

by Evo
Tags: blame, couple, internet, neglect, nevada
Share this thread:
Evo
Jul16-07, 12:04 PM
Mentor
P: 26,555
RENO, Nev. - A couple who authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect.

The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070716/...rnet_addiction

They're blaming the internet, not their own idiocy and lack of self control.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
ank_gl
Jul16-07, 12:08 PM
P: 735
duh.. how can people be so dumb
Math Is Hard
Jul16-07, 12:15 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine.

Beyond bizarre!

ank_gl
Jul16-07, 12:25 PM
P: 735
Nevada couple blame Internet for neglect

geeeez.. didnt read it the first time.. its really dumb.. hard to believe actually. how come one neglect so small babies??
neutrino
Jul16-07, 12:54 PM
P: 2,046
Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration.
That is so sick! I doubt if the gamers even got up for toilet breaks.
radou
Jul16-07, 01:29 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
As mentioned before, absolutely nothing to do with internet or games or whatever, it's "just" a serious mental disease.
G01
Jul16-07, 01:34 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
Quote Quote by radou View Post
As mentioned before, absolutely nothing to do with internet or games or whatever, it's "just" a serious mental disease.
I definitely agree. The problem here is a lack of self control and sense of responsibility. The problem isn't the internet or the games, it's the people.
hypatia
Jul16-07, 01:36 PM
P: 1,298
"obsessed with the Internet and video games"
Sadly I do know of people who have lost jobs and families because of this. I believe this is the first time I've heard of neglected children, to this extent, due to on line gameing obsession. I have heard of gambleing parents who have left children, days on end to gamble.
How very sad.
ShawnD
Jul17-07, 06:41 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 986
Reminds me of those people who died while playing World of Warcraft.

This is just my opinion, but wouldn't the game be somewhat inconsequential in this whole mess? I personally play WoW, and it's really not that great unless your goal is to kill some free time. Someone would need to have a horrible life before WoW would take priority. In that case, their life was crap before the internet and games.

If it wasn't the internet, it would have been something else.
Moonbear
Jul17-07, 09:51 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Quote Quote by G01 View Post
I definitely agree. The problem here is a lack of self control and sense of responsibility. The problem isn't the internet or the games, it's the people.
Quote Quote by ShawnD View Post

This is just my opinion, but wouldn't the game be somewhat inconsequential in this whole mess? I personally play WoW, and it's really not that great unless your goal is to kill some free time. Someone would need to have a horrible life before WoW would take priority. In that case, their life was crap before the internet and games.

Both of you are basically making the same point, with which I fully agree. Obviously, the problem is their overall lack of responsibility and self-accountability. It doesn't surprise me that someone who would neglect two children would try to blame everyone but themselves, because if they had even a shred of responsibility or self-accountability, they wouldn't have neglected the children in the first place.

He received a $50,000 inheritance that he spent on computer equipment and a large plasma television, authorities said.
From this line, it's pretty obvious they were just idiots who were just focused on instant gratification.
Gza
Jul17-07, 10:41 AM
P: 525
FredGarvin
Jul17-07, 11:22 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
That story made me sick when I heard it. It's stories like this that help to spread violence in our country because I really want to kick both of their "you-know-whats." GARGH! I want to strangle someone.

The thing that REALLY po's me is that they are going to pull some mental deficiency defense.
radou
Jul17-07, 12:00 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
Quote Quote by G01 View Post
I fear it's something far more serious than just lack of self control.

Quote Quote by ShawnD View Post

This reminded me of a recent situation when I called my friend and he said his girlfriend was over at his place and he was playing WOW.
daveb
Jul19-07, 12:00 PM
P: 925
I have to wonder that if they didn't have time to take care of these children, where did they find the time to eat, take restroom breaks, or even have the kids in the first place?
mgb_phys
Jul19-07, 04:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,953
Quote Quote by daveb View Post
where did they find the time to eat, take restroom breaks, or even have the kids in the first place?
Presumably the connection was down! If they had switched to NTL the connection would have been down regulalrly enough that the kids would have been OK.

Actually that could be their new ad campaign.
"Worried that you kids are spending 24x7 on the net - switch to NTL and we that wont happen"
ShawnD
Jul19-07, 09:15 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 986
Quote Quote by daveb View Post
where did they find the time to eat, take restroom breaks, or even have the kids in the first place?
From what I gather, they had sex in the Deeprun Tram

Register to reply