Frequency in units of inverse length?

In summary, to convert a given angular frequency in units of inverse length (i.e., 520.5 cm^-1) to frequency and energy (in eV), you would first use the relationship between wavelength, frequency, and speed of light to find the wave frequency. Then, using the speed of light in a vacuum, Planck's constant, and the energy-frequency relationship, you can calculate the photon energy in both joules and eV. Finally, to convert from vacuum wavelength to energy, you can use the relationship between vacuum wavelength and wavenumber, taking into account the refractive index of the medium and the permittivity and permeability figures.
GammaMacht
Hi, when someone gives me an angular frequency in units of inverse length (i.e., 520.5 cm^-1) how do I convert that to a frequency and and energy (say, in eV?). Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh nevermind, it was just a typo in my calculator. I thought I was going crazy

You have a wavenumber of N/cm indicating the number
of waves per unit length.

Wave length is related to
Wave frequency and Wave speed by
Wave length [cm] = Wave speed [cm/s] / Wave freq [1/s]

so the (inverse Wave length) = 1/cm =
Wave number per cm =
Wave frequency [1/s] / wave speed [cm/s]

To get Wave frequency:
Wave frequency [1/s] =
Wave number [1/cm] * Wave speed [cm/s]

The speed of light in a vacuum is:
c=2.9979*10^10 cm/s

so in a vacuum Wave frequency [1/s] =
c [cm/s] * Wave number [1/cm].

Photon energy increases with frequency i.e.
energy is proportional to reciprocal wavelength.

Planck's constant = hbar = 6.6260755*10^-34 [J*s]

One eV = 1.60217733*10^-19 J = [J/eV]
So [eV/J] = 1/1.60217733*10^-19 = 6.24150636*10^18.

We can relate the dimensional units as:
Joules = hbar [Js] * Wave Frequency [1/s]
eV = Joules * eV/J = eV/J * hbar [Js] * Wave Frequency [1/s]

photon energy [J] = hbar [Js] * Photon Vacuum Freq. [1/s]

photon energy [eV] = eV/J * hbar [Js] * Photon Vacuum Freq. [1/s]

photon energy [eV] = 6.24150636*10^18 [eV/J] * 6.6260755*10^-34 [hbar Js] * Photon Vacuum Freq. [1/s]

photon energy [eV] = 6.24150636*10^18 [eV/J] * 6.6260755*10^-34 [hbar Js] * Photon Vacuum Freq. [1/s]

photon energy [eV] = 4.13566924*10^-15 [eV/s] * Photon Vacuum Freq. [1/s]

photon energy [eV] = 4.13566924*10^-15 [eV/s] * c [cm/s] * Photon Vacuum Wave Number [1/cm] =

photon energy [eV] = Photon Vacuum Wave Number [1/cm] / 8065.60706

At 100 nanometer vacuum wavelength = 10^5 wavenumber [1/cm] : eV = 10^5/8065.60706 = 12.398eV
At 01 micrometer vacuum wavelength = 10^4 wavenumber [1/cm] : eV = 10^4/8065.60706 = 1.2398 eV
At 10 micrometer vacuum wavelength = 10^3 wavenumber [1/cm] : eV = 10^3/8065.60706 = 0.12398 eV

The vacuum frequency of a photon relates to the material (non vacuum) number
depending on the refractive index of the medium of propagation.

The wave is slowed in the medium by:
speed_of_light_in_medium = speed_of_light_in_vacuum / n
where n is the refractive index of the medium.

The wavelength is shorter in the medium than it would be in free space by:
wavelength_in_medium = wavelength_in_vacuum / n
where n is the refractive index of the medium.

If you know the permittivity and permeability figures for the medium at the wavelength of interest,
you can also calculate the light propagation speed in the medium via:
speed_of_light_in_medium = 1/sqrt(e0*er*u0*ur)
where:
e0 = permittivity of free space = 8.854187817*10^-12 [F/m]
u0 = permeability of free space = 4 * Pi * 10^-7
er = relative permittivity of material over free space permittivity
ur = relative permeability of material over free space permeability

1. What is the definition of frequency in units of inverse length?

Frequency in units of inverse length is a measure of the number of complete oscillations or cycles that occur per unit length. It is typically used to describe the frequency of electromagnetic waves, such as light or radio waves.

2. How is frequency in units of inverse length related to wavelength?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional, meaning that as frequency increases, wavelength decreases. This relationship can be described by the equation frequency x wavelength = speed of light.

3. What are the units for frequency in units of inverse length?

The units for frequency in units of inverse length are usually expressed as inverse meters (m-1) or inverse centimeters (cm-1), but can also be written as inverse nanometers (nm-1) or inverse micrometers (μm-1).

4. How is frequency in units of inverse length measured?

Frequency in units of inverse length can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a spectroscope or a spectrophotometer. These instruments use diffraction or interference patterns to measure the frequency of light or other electromagnetic waves.

5. What is the significance of frequency in units of inverse length in scientific research?

Frequency in units of inverse length is an important concept in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It is used to study the properties and behaviors of electromagnetic waves, which play a crucial role in understanding the nature of matter and the universe.