Register to reply

2 variable delta function integration

Share this thread:
Gin
Aug19-07, 09:12 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int^{A}_{-A}[/tex][tex]\int^{Bx}_{-Bx}c\delta(xcos\varphi+ysin\varphi-d)dydx[/tex]
where A, B, c, d are constant
2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I have tried a few different ways to integrate this, but am completely confused with what happens to this kind of delta function when you integrate it. I know integrating a delta function usually gives you 1 but I don't think this can work in this case. The answer has A,B,c and d in it, so the limits must be used somewhere. This is one step in a much longer problem, but it is frustrating to get close to the end and get stuck because I can't find anything anywhere about delta functions of 2 variables. Some help would really be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Judithku
Sep16-11, 03:35 AM
P: 4
Did you or anyone else figure out how to deal with this? I have the same problem.
Mute
Sep16-11, 07:58 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
One could, for example, use the following property of a delta function:

[tex]\delta(af(x)) = \frac{1}{|a|}\delta(f(x))[/tex]

to factor out the cosine in the argument of the delta function and then perform the x integration. The x integration is then easy, but there's a trick - you don't know for sure if the delta function argument is zero inside the limits of x integration, so you'll have to think carefully about that.

Register to reply