Finding area of a gold leaf

by P.O.L.A.R
Tags: gold, leaf
Share this thread:
P.O.L.A.R
Aug26-07, 01:02 PM
P: 23
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Gold, which has a density of 19.32 g/cm^3, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber. (a) If a sample of gold, witha mass of 27.63g, is pressed into a leaf 1.000 m thickness, what is the area of the leaf? (b) If, instead, the gold is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.500 m, what is the length of the fiber?

2. Relevant equations
ρ=m/V (density)

3. The attempt at a solution
Im having trouble finding a direction to go in. I think converting to density is the way to go but I am having trouble using the density formula as well.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
rootX
Aug26-07, 01:11 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by P.O.L.A.R View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Gold, which has a density of 19.32 g/cm^3, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber. (a) If a sample of gold, witha mass of 27.63g, is pressed into a leaf 1.000 m thickness, what is the area of the leaf? (b) If, instead, the gold is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.500 m, what is the length of the fiber?

2. Relevant equations
ρ=m/V (density)

3. The attempt at a solution
Im having trouble finding a direction to go in. I think converting to density is the way to go but I am having trouble using the density formula as well.
But aren't you given the density: 19.32?
Hint: You need to know volume of a cylinder, and that other thing (cube ?) in order to solve this.

So, I guess both require two steps.
P.O.L.A.R
Aug26-07, 02:23 PM
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
But aren't you given the density: 19.32?
Hint: You need to know volume of a cylinder, and that other thing (cube ?) in order to solve this.

So, I guess both require two steps.
Ok so my intial direction was right but the problem I am having now the area. It just doesnt make sense how I can take the density and find the area. The set-up is not making sense.

rootX
Aug26-07, 02:27 PM
P: 1,294
Finding area of a gold leaf

first find the relationship between area and volume
and then between volume and density/mass

and you will get the area
P.O.L.A.R
Aug27-07, 07:55 AM
I got it. Thanks for the help the relationship is what I was confusing but all I had to do was divde the density by the mass to get rid of the grams and then convert the cm^3 to µm^3 and relate the area and volume as you said and then the volume with the area.

Thanks
dhago07
Jan27-09, 03:22 PM
P: 12
How to solve this problem after finding volume using density and mass
chemisttree
Jan27-09, 04:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Quote Quote by dhago07 View Post
How to solve this problem after finding volume using density and mass
You need to find a relationship between area and volume for the shape you are considering. For gold leaf, assume that you are using the equation for 2 faces of a cube of material and for a rod assume the area is limited to that of a rod minus the ends.
dhago07
Jan27-09, 06:52 PM
P: 12
Quote Quote by chemisttree View Post
You need to find a relationship between area and volume for the shape you are considering. For gold leaf, assume that you are using the equation for 2 faces of a cube of material and for a rod assume the area is limited to that of a rod minus the ends.
But what kind of formula should i use for 2 face cube and also for the rod

Thanks for replaying back.
chemisttree
Jan28-09, 02:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Using the example of the gold leaf, assume you have a collection of finite elements, each of which is a cube of the same dimension as the thickness (w= 1.000 m) of the foil. The area of each face of the cube will be w2 and you need two of 'em. Next, you need to understand that the total volume of the gold will be N*w3 where 'N' is equal to the number of elements of dimension w X w X w.

Can you get there from here?

Register to reply