Register to reply

Converging diverging nozzle

by ank_gl
Tags: converging, diverging, nozzle
Share this thread:
ank_gl
Sep6-07, 02:09 PM
P: 733
i just started reading about nozzles and turbines in my semester course. i went through converging diverging nozzles. for achieving a supersonic flow, a converging diverging nozzle is used. now a converging section will work as a nozzle only till the flow is subsonic and a diffuser at supersonic flow. that means the maximum velocity obtainable in converging section is speed of sound in the same medium.
also dA/A = [M^2 - 1]dV/V, at Mach 1, section ll not alter the speed of flow.
now consider a converging diverging section. suppose mach 1 is reached at the throat, at mach 1, section ll not alter the speed of flow, then why would the flow become supersonic in the diverging section. i am a little confused about this. since no part of stream can go over mach 1 in converging section, diverging section should act as a diffuser, right?? apparently i am wrong, but i dont know where..
also i was wondering what effect the shape of section might have, i mean concavity or convexity of the nozzle
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
FredGarvin
Sep6-07, 08:20 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
A properly designed CD nozzle will have it's throat at M=1. Compressible theory is where the divergent part starts to work. There are a few funny things that happen because of it. The acceleration of a flow in a divergent section is one of them. Keep reading!

http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/educ...et/nozzle.html

Register to reply