Area Inside Lemniscate Vector Calculus

In summary, a lemniscate is a curve described by the equation (x^2 + y^2) = 2a^2 (x^2 - y^2). The equation can be rearranged into polar form, and the area can be calculated using the half angle rule.
braindead101
Find the area inside the lemniscate ,which is described by the equation (x^2 + y^2) = 2a^2 (x^2 - y^2)

I have no idea where to start so I found out what a lemniscate is.. but this didn't help me much. I have rearranged the equation for a:

a = sqrt ( (x^2 + y^2)^2 / 2(x^2 - y^2) )
a = x^2 + y^2 / sqrt (2(x^2 - y^2))

How do I proceed from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the equation should have been (x^2 + y^2)^2 = 2a^2 (x^2 - y^2).

oh yes, when i isolated for a i did remember the ^2
but i have no idea how to proceed from there

Hint: convert to Lemniscate equation into polar form and calculate area from there

what does the a even mean..
my prof did not say anything about a lemniscate, I am confused out of my mind

okay so i can only put it in polar coordinates, but where are the limits of integration in which i am suppose to integrate??

(r^2)^2 = 2a^2 (rcos^2theta - rsin^2theta) r
r^4 = 2a^2 (rcos^2theta - rsin^2theta) r
r^3 = 2a^2 (r^2cos^2theta - r^2sin^2theta)
r = 2a^2 (cos^2theta - sin^2theta)
r = 2a^2 (1-sin^2theta - sin^2theta)
r = 2a^2 (1-2sin^2theta)
Using half angle rule:
r = 2a^2 (1-2(1-cos^2theta / 2))
r = 2a^2 (1-(1-cos^2theta))
r = 2a^2 (cos^2theta)

i still do not know the meaning of a.. and the boundaries

should be r^2 = 2a^2 (cos^2theta);

sketch the curve to find the limits of intergration, I'd say for the right loop you integrate
from -pi/4 to pi/4.
Constant a controls the form of the curve.

Try sketching it here http://graph.seriesmathstudy.com/

so how do i get rid of the constant?

Well, you don't.
What is the integral of y = ax ? ax^2 / 2, right? Can you integrate r^2 = 2a^2 (cos^2theta) then, integrate wrt to theta not a?

i was doing the same problem and i got 2a^2 as my answer

r^2 = 2a^2cos(2theta)

the integral of r^2 should be the area hence integrating the right side gives u an asnwer wrt a

anyone know how to compute Integral 0 to 1 ; integral y to 1 (1+x^2)^(1/2) dxdy

its a double integral problem, I am stuck...

wait its a^2 not 2a^2

i found examples in class where it is integrating the double integral w.r.t dr dtheta
so do i rearrange for a to get rid of a... or do as u say and integrate w.r.t dtheta
i still have not found the limits of integration yet, i don't see how i am suppose to figure all this stuff out with no information and no knowledge of a lemniscate

yeh hahaha ethans class

i still need help on this,
anyone have any ideas?
is hanhan correct that r^2 is the area so u can integrate ??

but i am learning about double integrals and it is only a single integration on the website link

anyone know how i can change it into a double integral to solve for the area inside the lemniscate?

1. What is a Lemniscate in vector calculus?

A Lemniscate is a mathematical curve that resembles the shape of the infinity symbol (∞). In vector calculus, it is often used to represent the path of a particle in circular motion.

2. How is the area inside a Lemniscate calculated?

The area inside a Lemniscate can be calculated using the formula A = πr2, where r is the radius of the circle that forms the Lemniscate. This formula is derived from the parametric equations of the Lemniscate curve.

3. What is the significance of the area inside a Lemniscate in vector calculus?

The area inside a Lemniscate is often used to calculate the work done by a force on a particle moving along the curve. It is also used in various applications such as calculating the magnetic field around a circular loop of wire.

4. Can the area inside a Lemniscate be negative?

No, the area inside a Lemniscate cannot be negative as it represents a physical quantity and cannot have a negative value. The area inside a Lemniscate is always a positive number.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Lemniscates in vector calculus?

Yes, Lemniscates have various real-world applications in physics and engineering. They are used to model circular motion, calculate the work done by forces, and in the design of circuits and antennas. They are also used in optics to calculate the intensity of light at different points on a circular wavefront.