Question Regarding Sets and Functions

In summary, if f:A \rightarrow B and A_0 \subset A, then to show that A_0 \subset f^{-1}(f(A_0)), we can choose an arbitrary element a \in A_0 and show that it is also in f^{-1}(f(A_0)). This is because f^{-1}(f(A_0)) is defined as \{ x | f(x) \in f(A_0) \}. So, since we know that f(a) \in f(A_0), it follows that a \in f^{-1}(f(A_0)). This holds true regardless of whether f is injective or bijective.
Diffy
[tex]A_0 \subset f^{-1} (f (A_0)) [/tex]

This inclusion is an equality if f is injective.

What I can't understand is how it is even defined if f isn't a bijection. If it is not a bijection, then there is no inverse function. Is there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I got it. If we don't know that [tex]f:A \rightarrow B[/tex] is bijective or even surjective/injective, we want [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] to be [tex] \{ a | f(a) \in B\}[/tex]

is this correct?

Let [tex]f:A \rightarrow B[/tex] and [tex] A_0 \subset A [/tex]

Say we want to show that [tex]A_0 \subset f^{-1}( f(A_0)) [/tex]

Suppose we have
[tex]a \in A_0 [/tex]
then by the definition of a function [tex] f(a) = b [/tex] for some [tex]b \in B[/tex]
[tex]f^{-1}(b) [/tex] then is [tex]\{ c | f(c) =b\}[/tex] since we have already established that [tex] f(a) = b [/tex] it is clearly the case that [tex] a \in \{ c | f(c) =b\} = f^{-1}(f(a))[/tex]. Therefore, since we choose [tex]a[/tex] arbitraraly [tex] A_0 \subset f^{-1}(f(A_0))[/tex]

Is this right?

Okay, I won't laugh at you too hard!

The very first time I had to present a proof before the class in a graduate class it was something exactly like this! I went throught the whole thing, assured that I was exactly right! I did the whole proof assuming that f HAD an inverse! Very embarrasing! It's probably the one thing I remember more than anything else from my graduate student days!

f-1(A), where A is a set, is defined as {x| f(x) is in A}. No, it is not required that f be "one-to-one"! If, for example, f(x)= x2, where f is surely not one-to-one, then f-1([-1,4]= {all x such that f(x) is in that set}. That, of course is the interval [-2, 2] since f(-2)= f(2)= 4 and all numbers between -2 and 2 are taken to numbers between 0 and 4 and so between -1 and 4.

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, I won't laugh at you too hard!

Wow, that's discouraging.

Anyways, I think I said your exact definition of [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] in my second post. Where I said if [tex]f:A \rightarrow B[/tex] "we want [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] to be [tex]\{a | f(a) \in B \} [/tex]"

How was my proof of [tex] A_0 \subset f^{-1} (f(A_0))[/tex]? Was that any good? If not I hope it was at least, yet again, humorous...

Both your definition and proof are correct.

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects that are grouped together based on a specific criteria or characteristic. These objects can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets.

2. How are sets represented?

Sets are typically represented using curly braces { } and listing out the elements within the braces. For example, the set of even numbers can be represented as {2, 4, 6, 8, ...}.

3. What is a function?

A function is a relation between two sets, where each input from the first set corresponds to exactly one output in the second set. Functions are often represented using f(x) notation and can be thought of as a rule or formula that takes in an input and produces an output.

4. What is the difference between a set and a function?

A set is a collection of objects, while a function is a relationship between two sets. A set can contain any type of element, while a function must have a specific input and output relationship. Additionally, a set can have multiple elements that are the same, while a function must have unique inputs and outputs.

5. Can a set and a function have the same elements?

Yes, a set and a function can have the same elements, but they serve different purposes. A set simply contains a group of objects, while a function describes a relationship between two sets. So while a set can contain the elements of a function, a function cannot contain the elements of a set.