Question Regarding Sets and Functions

by Diffy
Tags: functions, sets
Share this thread:
Diffy
Sep20-07, 06:38 PM
P: 443
[tex]A_0 \subset f^{-1} (f (A_0)) [/tex]

This inclusion is an equality if f is injective.

What I can't understand is how it is even defined if f isn't a bijection. If it is not a bijection, then there is no inverse function. Is there?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Diffy
Sep20-07, 07:19 PM
Ok I think I got it. If we don't know that [tex]f:A \rightarrow B[/tex] is bijective or even surjective/injective, we want [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] to be [tex] \{ a | f(a) \in B\}[/tex]

is this correct?

Let [tex]f:A \rightarrow B[/tex] and [tex] A_0 \subset A [/tex]

Say we want to show that [tex]A_0 \subset f^{-1}( f(A_0)) [/tex]

Suppose we have
[tex]a \in A_0 [/tex]
then by the definition of a function [tex] f(a) = b [/tex] for some [tex]b \in B[/tex]
[tex]f^{-1}(b) [/tex] then is [tex]\{ c | f(c) =b\}[/tex] since we have already established that [tex] f(a) = b [/tex] it is clearly the case that [tex] a \in \{ c | f(c) =b\} = f^{-1}(f(a))[/tex]. Therefore, since we choose [tex]a[/tex] arbitraraly [tex] A_0 \subset f^{-1}(f(A_0))[/tex]

Is this right?
HallsofIvy
Sep20-07, 08:11 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,502
Okay, I won't laugh at you too hard!

The very first time I had to present a proof before the class in a graduate class it was something exactly like this! I went throught the whole thing, assured that I was exactly right! I did the whole proof assuming that f HAD an inverse! Very embarrasing! It's probably the one thing I remember more than anything else from my graduate student days!

f-1(A), where A is a set, is defined as {x| f(x) is in A}. No, it is not required that f be "one-to-one"! If, for example, f(x)= x[sup]2[sup], where f is surely not one-to-one, then f-1([-1,4]= {all x such that f(x) is in that set}. That, of course is the interval [-2, 2] since f(-2)= f(2)= 4 and all numbers between -2 and 2 are taken to numbers between 0 and 4 and so between -1 and 4.

Diffy
Sep20-07, 09:03 PM
Question Regarding Sets and Functions

Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Okay, I won't laugh at you too hard!
Wow, that's discouraging.

Anyways, I think I said your exact definition of [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] in my second post. Where I said if [tex]f:A \rightarrow B[/tex] "we want [tex]f^{-1}[/tex] to be [tex]\{a | f(a) \in B \} [/tex]"

How was my proof of [tex] A_0 \subset f^{-1} (f(A_0))[/tex]? Was that any good? If not I hope it was at least, yet again, humorous...
Eighty
Sep21-07, 10:46 AM
P: 53
Both your definition and proof are correct.

Register to reply